Hour Breaks Required

5yearsleft

This is pretty common for about 3 or 4 months out of the year. It is not enforced whenever it is convenient for them to drop it (like peak!) and then it always is dropped right before SFA. They haven't required us to take the hour for about 6 months now.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
That's funny. After after being required forever to take an hour break at 8 hours, we were recently told we only need to take 30 mins. Wahoo!

Pretty sure this isn't an MT3 thing for once. Probably district director.

bbsam

Staff member
I've never liked taking breaks. Much prefer to eat on the run and keep progressing through the job.

dezguy

We got this just after peak ended. Of course, when freight is late or there is an early pull, they tell you it's ok to skip. I usually take my break on those days and end up with lates or DEX 01's. Sorry, I'm either taking my break every day or skipping. There shouldn't be an in between.

hypo hanna

That's funny. After after being required forever to take an hour break at 8 hours, we were recently told we only need to take 30 mins. Wahoo!

Pretty sure this isn't an MT3 thing for once. Probably district director.
Just your director trying to make goal. Once the service failures go up you will be back to 30 minutes.

This kind of jerking you around with hours is something you won't see at a union shop.

!Retired!

We got this just after peak ended. Of course, when freight is late or there is an early pull, they tell you it's ok to skip. I usually take my break on those days and end up with lates or DEX 01's. Sorry, I'm either taking my break every day or skipping. There shouldn't be an in between.
We've always been told not taking a break is not an option. Even during PEAK, I take 30 minutes. I'm with bbsam, if I could, I wouldn't take a break at all.

CJinx

Laws vary from state to state, and company policy is all over the map depending on who's enforcing it. As for FXG/FHD drivers; not our employees, not our problem.:smart:

Whenever something happens with payroll or break hours, blame the lawsuit in Cali. There's always something going on in Cali. :knockedout:

fedupforsure

I will never again take an hour break and have made station mgt very aware of this fact. I will turn in ID and walk out the door, but then again I only have # months till I retire so it would not affect me too much

SmithBarney

Not sure what everyone is talking about, but DOT requires a break/rest period

FedEx "rules"
Under 6hrs no break required.
Over 6hrs but under 8hrs :30min required.
Over 8hrs :60Min required.

per DOT At least a 30min break should be taken(started) before you hit the 8hr mark on the clock.

So if you are not doing at least the 30min before 8, and you get pulled over by DOT or whoever you will be in Trouble... not to mention working straight through can be dangerous. Your body needs to rest..