Hourlies spying on Hourlies in the name of 'Safety'

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Our safety committee has been ,in management's words 'revamped' . A favorite thing now is for management and an hourly driver ride together and 'observe' a driver( the driver of course has no idea he is being 'observed' ) and the later in the week the Hourly observer presents the driver with a list of 'improvements' she thinks will improve safety in a Safety Meeting.( we have a calendar and usually 5-6 drivers a day come in 15 min early for the meeting it's easy OT for the committee)

The driver who has been observing and is on the Safety Committee has had 8 accidents in the past 2 years,and has the worst driving record in the center. I got a really big kick when she came to me ( I havent had an accident in years and years) and gave me her observations. I asked her how good were they working for HER? =) My oncar said i didnt have the right 'spirit' ,so I minced no words about being spied on by an hourly,and an incompetent one at that. I am too old,too fat and too grumpy for this crap

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I was told my pace was too slow. Well load me up a little more tomorrow, and see if that helps. I have one pace, as fast as I can safely go. Years ago when I was in management, left before the lobotomy, I heard something of a fatigue factor. I guess now, the fatigue factor is gone. We are machines, we work as directed, and we never get tired, hungry, sore, or grumpy.

Our safety committee has been ,in management's words 'revamped' . A favorite thing now is for management and an hourly driver ride together and 'observe' a driver( the driver of course has no idea he is being 'observed' ) and the later in the week the Hourly observer presents the driver with a list of 'improvements' she thinks will improve safety in a Safety Meeting.( we have a calendar and usually 5-6 drivers a day come in 15 min early for the meeting it's easy OT for the committee)

The driver who has been observing and is on the Safety Committee has had 8 accidents in the past 2 years,and has the worst driving record in the center. I got a really big kick when she came to me ( I havent had an accident in years and years) and gave me her observations. I asked her how good were they working for HER? =) My oncar said i didnt have the right 'spirit' ,so I minced no words about being spied on by an hourly,and an incompetent one at that. I am too old,too fat and too grumpy for this crap
Also my business agent put an end to drivers observing drivers in local 407. It turns out the temptation for drivers (who can get out of pulling their route)to tell on other driver was to great. Now there aren't anymore observations. Management thinks the ba is a dick the members think he is bad ass and are a lot happier that these suck asses arent Snitching them out anymore.

satellitedriver

Ole' George said it best.
From George Bernard Shaw's Man and Superman.)
Bob: I'm so discouraged. My writing teacher told me my novel is hopeless.
Jane: Don't listen to her, Bob. Remember: those who can, do; those who can't, teach.

S

splozi

the driver of course has no idea he is being 'observed'

As observant as you drivers are taught to be, I have a hard time believing that you wouldn't be able to tell when you are being followed. These people have absolutely no training to remain invisible. Also, it's not as if they have teams of observers following one package car, switching back and forth so it's never the same car behind you for too long. It's one car... with a pair of noobs.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I notice when I have the same car on my tail for any extended period of time.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We just started the safety committee member driving with 2 Supes. I have to turn in a sales lead during my 11 hour pull but we can send 3 people in a car to follow me. Clueless.

Bad Gas!

I always know when being followed. it's annoying but I like some of the female drivers who observe...Sometimes they call me and say they a observation...I say watch and learn..

old brown shoe

30 year driver
That's one reason I refuse to be on the safety committee. Could never bring myself to narc on my fellow drivers and the union should not let this even happen. It is usually the drivers with the worst records on the safety committee. Just tell them you will slow down a little so you can work on your areas that need attention.

Johney

We have a guy who does this. He works spies by himself and seems to work 12 hours a day and only runs a rte when they are REALLY short drivers.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Any driver who does this, or business agent that allows this practice should lose their union card and their job and be banned from the teamsters for life. No pension, no health insurance. Period.

menotyou

bella amicizia
When you join the teamsters(which has the word team in it), you join a brotherhood. The problem of late, I believe, is that that principle has been forgotten. No matter whom you blame, it is sad that some have no clue what that means.

I will be bright and cheerful when approached by the safety gang. Ask how are things going?, how's the wife and kids?, vacations coming?, how about those Sox?. I then go Wow look at the time and walk away having killed 15 minutes and not allowing one safety word to be spoken.

gorilla75jdw

we had a Union Steward safety commitee feeder driver checking D.V.I.R. books and had seen where one driver had not signed his name , went and reprted it to the feeder manager which in turn gave the driver a warning letter , go figure @WhitesCreek,TN.