Hours Cut...Senority?

littlelady

My hours have been cut down to basically nothing(less than 3.5) along with another employee in my part of the operation. They have us splitting the amount of hours allowed. If I have the senority, can't I take the amount of hours that I want? Or is it up to management exactly how many they are willing to LET me have from the other persons amount?

littlelady

yes and someone is trying to get our hours back but in the meantime can't I use my senority to get as many hours as I can? I asked and was told that they could give me a certain amount of days per week(still less than 3.5 per shift) but not the amount of days I asked for.I was told they are trying not to have to lay peple off by instead sharing the hours between us.

UPSGUY72

yes and someone is trying to get our hours back but in the meantime can't I use my senority to get as many hours as I can? I asked and was told that they could give me a certain amount of days per week(still less than 3.5 per shift) but not the amount of days I asked for.I was told they are trying not to have to lay peple off by instead sharing the hours between us.

You need to read your contract specifically your rider and see what it says. However, I would file a grievance if they have people with less seniority working and your not. If they need to lay someone off they need to start with the lowest seniority person first. They can't pick and choose who they are going to lay off on any given day. Everyday they tell you not show up for work and they have someone with less seniority working I would file a grievance that is the only way it is going to get fixed.

i would also call me BA and let him know what is going on

UnconTROLLed

perfection

If you are in air operations, you are only guaranteed three hours.

If you are a PT employee outside of Article 40, you are guaranteed 3.5 hours.

UPSguy is right, file grievances whenever you are denied your guarantee. Also let your local Business Agent know what is going on incase the steward does not follow up.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Why aren't YOU trying to get your hours back by filing a grievance?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why aren't YOU trying to get your hours back by filing a grievance?

I think she realizes that filing a grievance will result in layoffs of some of her lower seniority co-workers and she is trying to do the right thing by accepting fewer hours to keep everyone working.

I think she needs to ask for her 3.5 guarantee and let the chips fall where they may.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
This is UPS at their best cutting the hours of part-timers but leave the drivers out with over tens all over the place, the time bonus I get almost daly would pay for more then an hour of work for a part time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This is UPS at their best cutting the hours of part-timers but leave the drivers out with over tens all over the place, the time bonus I get almost daly would pay for more then an hour of work for a part time.

It's not the money, although you make a good point--there is just not enough work to give all of the PTers their 3.5 guarantee. The OP needs to decide if she wants to be nice or if she wants to take care of herself.

menotyou

bella amicizia
My hours have been cut down to basically nothing(less than 3.5) along with another employee in my part of the operation. They have us splitting the amount of hours allowed. If I have the senority, can't I take the amount of hours that I want? Or is it up to management exactly how many they are willing to LET me have from the other persons amount?

I think she realizes that filing a grievance will result in layoffs of some of her lower seniority co-workers and she is trying to do the right thing by accepting fewer hours to keep everyone working.

I think she needs to ask for her 3.5 guarantee and let the chips fall where they may.
That's not how I read it. I agree with letting the chips fall. They are using the fact that someone else's hours might get cut if 'she' stands up for 'herself'. Typical management tactic.
Still, it sounds like someone who wants other people to do the work for them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's not how I read it. I agree with letting the chips fall. They are using the fact that someone else's hours might get cut if 'she' stands up for 'herself'. Typical management tactic.
Still, it sounds like someone who wants other people to do the work for them.

How is that different from what I said? She needs to decide for herself is she wants to be nice and accept the reduced hours or ask for her guarantee knowing that it will impact her co-workers.

I would ask for my guarantee.

menotyou

bella amicizia

This is the part I don't agree with. I don't believe 'littlelady' is interested in anyone else's hours. And I said, I agree with letting the chips fall where they may, get your guarantee.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
It's not the money, although you make a good point--there is just not enough work to give all of the PTers their 3.5 guarantee. The OP needs to decide if she wants to be nice or if she wants to take care of herself.

In my building they are cutting people and cutting hours, this leads to the drivers finishing up the pre-load and wasting 20 mins in the building, plus getting the time bonus on the other end of the day. basically paying me and all the other drivers 40 mins about 30 bucks in OT to save money on the parttimers making 10 11 bucks an hour.

How anyone up the line can look at these numbers and not see what a waste it is is way beyond me.. I dont really care just gives me a bigger paycheck, but at least in my building over the course of the year UPS is wasting 10's of thousands of dollars, if not 100's of thousands.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We don't have that issue here, at least not to the extent that you described. Our preload is normally wrapped by driver start time. There are some drivers who may have to finish loading a bulk stop and we may have to load our own air but for the most part we leave shortly after start time.

littlelady

This IS about being nice in a way..I don't want to be responsible for getting someone laid off. Also, I don't want to be put under the "NOT A TEAM PLAYER" category by my management. But when it comes down to it I already only work every other day . so two days one week three the next. On my two day week I will be lucky to make 13 a week after gas and taxes! who can afford to drive to work for that paycheck!? The money wasn't great before but come on! If they would at least give me four days a week I could get 8 hours.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Are you a union PT hourly? The only reason I am asking is I have never heard of working every other day. No wonder you're not getting any hours.

If you are a union PT hourly you are guaranteed 3.5 hours every day. I think you need to stop being nice and demand your guarantee. Yes, this will result in a layoff, but you need to take care of you first and then worry about the others.

littlelady

Yes my contract says 3.5 and a five day work week.I guess I should have noticed these other issues before but after three years with the company and a lot of hasseling I didn't get a copy of my contract until a few months ago. Every summer since I started, we always go down to every other day.Never knew any different.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes my contract says 3.5 and a five day work week.I guess I should have noticed these other issues before but after three years with the company and a lot of hasseling I didn't get a copy of my contract until a few months ago. Every summer since I started, we always go down to every other day.Never knew any different.

Until now...I think you know what you need to do when you go in on Monday (or whenever your next work day is).

UnconTROLLed

perfection
This IS about being nice in a way..I don't want to be responsible for getting someone laid off. Also, I don't want to be put under the "NOT A TEAM PLAYER" category by my management. But when it comes down to it I already only work every other day . so two days one week three the next. On my two day week I will be lucky to make 13 a week after gas and taxes! who can afford to drive to work for that paycheck!? The money wasn't great before but come on! If they would at least give me four days a week I could get 8 hours.

Littlelady,

several years ago I would take voluntary layoffs to keep newly hired part-timers working. Now, I think back and it was foolish. When I began asking for my guaranteed 8 hours every day, the part-timers were moved to another area /or another shift, and did not get "laid off"

The management tactics they are using are already well-described, they're leverage is a sympathy or emotion to make it sound like you're saving someones job..in reality, you're saving the company from having to move people around to make THEIR operation more efficient.

That is all it is, IMO. I suggest you either take action or just let it go and not talk about it. Actions speak louder than words when you are a Teamster :)