How Active is Your Local?

Seymour Packages

How strong are your stewards and BAs? Most of the horror stories I have heard come from the South where in some places union activity is almost nonexistent. Regardless, there is still A LOT of management intimidation. Having a strong shop steward is one less headache. This company sinks to new lows every day, but seeing local guys raising awareness and encouraging union participation is good to see. Nothing we enjoy came from the goodness of UPS' heart. If they could work us Christmas day, they would.

Rack em

Made the Podium
We used to have a somewhat weak local. Then a few years ago a steward got the idea to organize a meeting with all the stewards in the local. We all met and have gotten together several more times since to discuss issues. We also have a group text so we can ask questions and share information with each other. On top of that we just recently got a 25+ year driver in as our BA.

We went from a weak local to a very strong local IMO. The steward who had the idea of getting us all together is a genius and I am grateful for him. We have made a lot of big strides in the past few years and I don't think we would be as strong or united today if it weren't for him. I urge other locals to follow suit if you already don't do something similar.

Box Handler of Dallas

How strong are your stewards and BAs? Most of the horror stories I have heard come from the South where in some places union activity is almost nonexistent. Regardless, there is still A LOT of management intimidation. Having a strong shop steward is one less headache. This company sinks to new lows every day, but seeing local guys raising awareness and encouraging union participation is good to see. Nothing we enjoy came from the goodness of UPS' heart. If they could work us Christmas day, they would.
One of my supervisors told me that they are thinking about running the night sort on Christmas Eve. Good luck with that.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Our local is meh. Any meetings are always in state capital and no one here on the coast is going to them. We’ll have in center union meetings from time to time but only when things are getting out of hand.

The management isn’t out of hand here but at the same time drivers aren’t doing dumb things to be disciplined.

During the beginning of the Covid scene things were a :censored2: show; from 9.5 grievances to 8 hour request grievances to suspensions to a couple of drivers threatening to quit. I’m sure it was like that everywhere though.

One of our shop stewards who actually cares stepped up with the meetings to just entice a little hope for everyone who listened in but the thing is not every driver came to listen

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Our local was subpar at best, then our old BA retired and the new BA came in and took our local to the 21st century. Facebook group with updates throughout the week about issues or subjects that pertain to contract issues. Its been a breathe of fresh air and can see the difference in the members opinion of the union and what they do as a whole for us as members.

Staydryitsraining

Management let's 2 stewards sit in the office everyday for months at a time and code it as safety. Ba is good for what our local has to offer, the president is in cruise mode and doesnt want any issues. Most hourlies give zjs to management early in the am to get easy routes or junk to do all day. No one gets fired but that's because management is so lazy they would rather not do the paperwork. I cant wait to retire.

UPSER1987

Management let's 2 stewards sit in the office everyday for months at a time and code it as safety. Ba is good for what our local has to offer, the president is in cruise mode and doesnt want any issues. Most hourlies give zjs to management early in the am to get easy routes or junk to do all day. No one gets fired but that's because management is so lazy they would rather not do the paperwork. I cant wait to retire.
Are you in local 104?

Seymour Packages

It really depends on your race(sometimes). How much you "contribute" to the re-election of the current president. Things like that.
Sorry to hear that. That creates apathy and, in the end, only benefits the company. Happy to say that my shop stewards, BAs, and President all believe in one core principal: the company is the enemy, protect ALL members (regardless of race, gender, political affiliation, etc) to the furthest extent possible.

quad decade guy

Sorry to hear that. That creates apathy and, in the end, only benefits the company. Happy to say that my shop stewards, BAs, and President all believe in one core principal: the company is the enemy, protect ALL members (regardless of race, gender, political affiliation, etc) to the furthest extent possible.
Corruption. Nasty business. Follow the money. Money drives the Union. And all that entails.

What'dyabringmetoday???

Nothing is stopping you.... from running for office in your Local.
Yup- I like being able to see my shoes. You aren't allowed in the club otherwise. It's fun triggering you also Big Union Man. Surprised a big time "elected leader" has time to hang out on the Internet this time of day. Probably winding down and getting ready to head down to the buffet. Lol.