How are UPS hubs assigned?

Pink Jazz

When we order things online, when we get items shipped via UPS, they normally go through the Mesa hub, and this was the case when we lived in both Gilbert and Queen Creek.

Now, we ordered an item for someone else that lives in Chandler, and I was expecting that it would go through the Tempe hub, since I assumed the hubs are assigned by city. Instead it went through the Mesa hub as well, so I think my guess about the hubs being assigned by city might be wrong.

So, how are the hubs assigned? Could it be by ZIP code rather than city? Do deliveries in West Chandler go through Tempe instead of Mesa?

watdaflock?

When we order things online, when we get items shipped via UPS, they normally go through the Mesa hub, and this was the case when we lived in both Gilbert and Queen Creek.

Now, we ordered an item for someone else that lives in Chandler, and I was expecting that it would go through the Tempe hub, since I assumed the hubs are assigned by city. Instead it went through the Mesa hub as well, so I think my guess about the hubs being assigned by city might be wrong.

So, how are the hubs assigned? Could it be by ZIP code rather than city? Do deliveries in West Chandler go through Tempe instead of Mesa?
Call (800) 742-5877. I'm positive they can offer you an answer.

Pink Jazz

So, are you

So, are you confirming that the hubs are assigned by ZIP code? If so, thanks.

As for which specific ZIP codes are assigned to each hub I guess I will have to call that number. I would not be surprised if some ZIP codes in western Chandler are assigned to the Tempe hub. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some ZIP codes in western Mesa are assigned to the Tempe hub as well, since the Tempe hub is closer to some parts of Mesa than the Mesa hub (which is located in southeastern Mesa).

oldngray

nowhere special
It is by zip but a certain zip may not go to the nearest hub. Its complicated. Not anything you should worry about.

upschuck

So, are you

So, are you confirming that the hubs are assigned by ZIP code? If so, thanks.

As for which specific ZIP codes are assigned to each hub I guess I will have to call that number. I would not be surprised if some ZIP codes in western Chandler are assigned to the Tempe hub. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some ZIP codes in western Mesa are assigned to the Tempe hub as well, since the Tempe hub is closer to some parts of Mesa than the Mesa hub (which is located in southeastern Mesa).
You know the difference between hub and center? There a relatively few hubs, and many centers.

On heavy days, hubs will divert volume to other hubs for processing.

Pink Jazz

You know the difference between hub and center? There a relatively few hubs, and many centers.

On heavy days, hubs will divert volume to other hubs for processing.

I guess I probably meant center. I didn't know the difference.

As for my avatar, everyone knows that Real Men Wear Pink.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
How much free time does one have to start a thread like this?
It reminded me of a thread

hey jazz hands... Private message @UpstateNYUPSer ... He seems to have a Knack for knowing everything about ups, even things outside the bog... Maybe he can help...seriously. Btw loving the sweater...#looking good#killing it with fashion!!!

GillEagan

I always look 10 years younger than I am.
The Tem

The Tempe hub handles the following areas. Parts of east Phoenix, Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, and Tempe. Mesa handles the rest of the east valley. Also if I'm not mistaking, Tempe also handles the Cave Creek and Carefree area.

Last edited:

GillEagan

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some ZIP codes in western Mesa are assigned to the Tempe hub as well, since the Tempe hub is closer to some parts of Mesa than the Mesa hub (which is located in southeastern Mesa).

Actually as far as Mesa is concerned, it is handled by the Mesa hub even though for parts of Mesa the Tempe hub is closer. I think one of the reasons for this is due to Scottsdale taking up space at the Tempe hub. I understand Scottsdale is the largest territory covered by the Tempe hub. Also the Mesa hub is in east Mesa and not southeast Mesa. Southeast Mesa runs along the east side of Gilbert all the way down to Queen Creek. At one time Mesa was even considering crossing over into Pinal County. Not sure if Mesa ever did though.

Last edited:

Pink Jazz

Actually as far as Mesa is concerned, it is handled by the Mesa hub even though for parts of Mesa the Tempe hub is closer. I think one of the reasons for this is due to Scottsdale taking up space at the Tempe hub. I understand Scottsdale is the largest territory covered by the Tempe hub. Also the Mesa hub is in east Mesa and not southeast Mesa. Southeast Mesa runs along the east side of Gilbert all the way down to Queen Creek. At one time Mesa was even considering crossing over into Pinal County. Not sure if Mesa ever did though.

What about Chandler? Is all of Chandler handled by the Mesa center?

GillEagan

As far as I know it is. Tempe just doesn't have the room to handle the majority of the east valley. I was told two years ago that Scottsdale just got so big that the Scottsdale Center was split in two. Because of the growth in the Phoenix area is the reason the Mesa hub exists at all. Same for the Tempe hub too. A lot of the drivers I have worked with remember when neither hubs existed at all. There are only four hubs in all of the Phoenix area. One is in central Phoenix on 31st Ave just south of Thomas. Another is near Sky Harbor and of course the Tempe and Mesa hubs.You would think with the way the Phoenix area is growing that there would be five or six hubs by now.

Dr.Brownz

Hub = Trailer unloads to other trailers

Center = Trailers unload to delivery trucks (package cars), PC's unload into trailers at end of day