How do i advance my career here?

Ramseys

Hello everyone!

I am new to BC and i love working for UPS! I have been lurking the forums for a few days and figured i would really like to ask for some advice on what to do. I have been working as an Unloader/Sorter for the past 7 months, and i was also a driver helper the previous winter. I have been looking for other opportunities such as Saturday driving but i unfortunately haven't learned how to drive manual transmission. I am looking to find a position that provides a more livable wage than i currently make, I have a B.S. Degree but no other work experience :/ Can anyone suggest to me some other options?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Hello everyone!

I am new to BC and i love working for UPS! I have been lurking the forums for a few days and figured i would really like to ask for some advice on what to do. I have been working as an Unloader/Sorter for the past 7 months, and i was also a driver helper the previous winter. I have been looking for other opportunities such as Saturday driving but i unfortunately haven't learned how to drive manual transmission. I am looking to find a position that provides a more livable wage than i currently make, I have a B.S. Degree but no other work experience :/ Can anyone suggest to me some other options?
Go away and learn how to read threads without us holding your hand....is an option.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Unfortunately everything at UPS is seniority based. If you're looking to drive, sign the sheet the next time one goes up. However, if people above you in seniority also sign it they may bump you out if they're only looking for so many, regardless of other qualifications. Or alternatively you could find a second day job elsewhere until you have enough seniority to secure more steady driving.

Unless you're looking to go into management, driving is really the only option you have as far as 'advancing' goes. I'm sure there's other non-management, non-union clerical jobs throughout the company, but I don't know anything about that.

Ramseys

Taking the initiative.
Learn other person's jobs.

The most important part:
Ass kissing.

Unfortunately everything at UPS is seniority based. If you're looking to drive, sign the sheet the next time one goes up. However, if people above you in seniority also sign it they may bump you out if they're only looking for so many, regardless of other qualifications. Or alternatively you could find a second day job elsewhere until you have enough seniority to secure more steady driving.

Unless you're looking to go into management, driving is really the only option you have as far as 'advancing' goes. I'm sure there's other non-management, non-union clerical jobs throughout the company, but I don't know anything about that.

I appreciate the responses guys. I have been taking a lot of initiative and my supervisors have noticed. I have been given extra time and filled in for other people frequently in other areas than unloading. I will continue to work hard here and hope that i can become a Saturday driver or part time supervisor. I guess there isnt much else i really need to know, just need to ask my supervisor what to do next to make it happen.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I appreciate the responses guys. I have been taking a lot of initiative and my supervisors have noticed. I have been given extra time and filled in for other people frequently in other areas than unloading. I will continue to work hard here and hope that i can become a Saturday driver or part time supervisor. I guess there isnt much else i really need to know, just need to ask my supervisor what to do next to make it happen.
You are defiantly qualified for part time sup

rod

Retired 22 years

It is fortunate that everything at UPS is seniority based. That is the fairest system there is. There is already enough brown nosing and butt kissing going on. Imagine what it would be like if what route you did or how you got to go full time was determined by who was the biggest kiss ass or who was related to whom.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
It is fortunate that everything at UPS is seniority based. That is the fairest system there is. There is already enough brown nosing and butt kissing going on. Imagine what it would be like if what route you did or how you got to go full time was determined by who was the biggest kiss ass or who was related to whom.
It has it's advantages and disadvantages. Advancement and opportunity sincerely based on personal ability and proven qualification would be ideal, but that's hard to come by.

rod

Retired 22 years
It has it's advantages and disadvantages. Advancement and opportunity sincerely based on personal ability and proven qualification would be ideal, but that's hard to come by.

Never happen---there would be a line a block long every morning consisting of those who wanted to kiss ass.

box_beeyotch

Can you imagine if wages and advancement were indeed based on performance rather than seniority?

Their would be a lot more favoritism than their already is. I'm not saying it would be totally unfair but they would cater to certain people who because they brown nose or have friends in high places get opportunities based upon that reasoning rather than their skills or qualifications. Each one has its advantages and disadvantages.