How do I get a job as a dispatcher?

hypo hanna

I was a dispatcher for while but went back to driving. I couldn't afford the smaller pay checks and got tired of the extra stress. (Base rate is less then swing drivers and little if any OT).
If you think you can do with less money , watch jcats and apply the next time a position opens up.

hypo hanna

Why would you talk them out of it?
A. That was back when I still cared about the company and it's customers and
B. a driver quitting mid route is a huge amount of extra work for dispatch to try and cover and if we couldn't cover we would be called to account for the service failures.
I know of several instances of dispatchers being blamed for "upsetting" drivers and causing them to quit.
Dispatch is really not much better then driving. The nice part is you are out of the weather when its bad. (You also miss out on those beautiful days.)

hypo hanna

Drop to your knees and open wide, OR wait 30 years until you have enough seniority to get a FT dispatch job.
Not so much any more. I'm seeing more and more people with 15 to 20 years getting in to dispatch. Most had been ops or ramp managers at some point during their sentence.

DONE

...or perhaps psychology or psychiatry.,.

Sent using BrownCafe App
...or perhaps psychology or psychiatry.,.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Thank you for the spell correction. I drove for 10 years with Express and dispatched for 5 years, full time. You do indeed need a pHd in psychiatry, I was on both ends as a driver and a dispatcher and hated both jobs. Couriers call non-stop to dispatch with every single issue possible, from the dentist, doctor, kids, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, ect ext..and expect dispatch to have the answer. Management runs and hides and leave dispatch to deal with every single issue out there. Dex 3, dex 1, pux 43, ext ext..all dispatches fault. Holiday closes, all on dispatch, everything and anything that goes wrong, blame dispatch, everything and anything that goes right, management takes the credit. It is a thankless job. I quit Fedex Express a couple of years ago due to the nickel and diming, and the fact that Fedex is a dead end job with no future. I would advise moving on to everyone that works here. It's hard, no doubt, but the grass is greener if you put the effort in to find a job where you are respected for hard work. I no longer feel stressed, fed up, ripped off, and aggravated. Why? Because I left Fedex..

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I already work for express. Anyone have any experience with this?

Couriers blame you for not being able to solve their problems. They will argue with you. They will ignore you as they see fit and hang as many of their mistakes on you as possible. Not all couriers are like that, but just enough to ruin your day.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Couriers blame you for not being able to solve their problems. They will argue with you. They will ignore you as they see fit and hang as many of their mistakes on you as possible. Not all couriers are like that, but just enough to ruin your day.

True. Dispatchers today are really de facto managers, since so many managers are incompetent and they need someone to toss under the bus when things go bad. Dispatchers typically know the operation better too.

59 Dano

True. Dispatchers today are really de facto managers, since so many managers are incompetent and they need someone to toss under the bus when things go bad. Dispatchers typically know the operation better too.

Oh please. Dispatchers' knowledge of operations is limited to the couriers they dispatch.

59 Dano

I'll argue that. There's plenty of managers who would sink if they didn't have dispatch to dump on.

ROTFLMAO, you'd argue against the existence of the automobile. I don't know if it's just out of spite or if you really aren't sure it exists.

Just exactly what kind of managerial work is being dumped onto dispatchers?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
ROTFLMAO, you'd argue against the existence of the automobile. I don't know if it's just out of spite or if you really aren't sure it exists.

Just exactly what kind of managerial work is being dumped onto dispatchers?

You are completely clueless. Dispatchers run most stations. Managers are just there to yell, give OLCCs, and then give instructions that the dispatchers have to de-cluster. You need to get out of Matt's lingerie closet and out into the field. You know nothing!