How do I know if I’m part time seasonal or just part time?

Futuredriver(maybe)

How can I be sure that I’m not going to be let go after peak season?

The job description said “Warehouse- Package Handler” and says part time 3:45-9:00

Would it be best to ask them when I go to the hub for my interview/walk through just so I know what I’m getting into? Thanks guys

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

The job description said “Warehouse- Package Handler” and says part time 3:45-9:00

Would it be best to ask them when I go to the hub for my interview/walk through just so I know what I’m getting into? Thanks guys

Asking would work.

Futuredriver(maybe)

getting hired before October is usually a good sign you’ll be held onto after peak ( if they like you )..best of luck my non-union brother

🧔✊
Oh yeah? That’s good, I didn’t realize those type of hires started in October.

We are just a few weeks away though. I’m going to ask and see what sort of response I get. Then it’s head down and work until I’m still there and it’s early 2021

PT Car Washer

We are just a few weeks away though. I’m going to ask and see what sort of response I get. Then it’s head down and work until I’m still there and it’s early 2021
My building can not afford to hire any Seasonals. Everyone is permanent hires. Until they quit a week or less later

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member

Absolutely ask, but understand that HR can and will tell a million lies to you.
It's what they do. Their job is to find you, and keep you on the hook while you get us through peak.

That said, you should *not* be a seasonal hire. Almost definitively. My understanding is, (and this could be different I guess, based on different supplements and riders) is that the seasonal period goes from October 15th to January 15th ish, and then from Easter to Labor day. Employees hired in outside those periods are NOT seasonal, and will become permanent employees if kept after working 30 days in any consecutive 90.

Or somesuch. Kinda too tired to be much help right now.

Futuredriver(maybe)

Absolutely ask, but understand that HR can and will tell a million lies to you.
It's what they do. Their job is to find you, and keep you on the hook while you get us through peak.

That said, you should *not* be a seasonal hire. Almost definitively. My understanding is, (and this could be different I guess, based on different supplements and riders) is that the seasonal period goes from October 15th to January 15th ish, and then from Easter to Labor day. Employees hired in outside those periods are NOT seasonal, and will become permanent employees if kept after working 30 days in any consecutive 90.

Or somesuch. Kinda too tired to be much help right now.
I gotcha. That’s good news, our hub looks to be fairly large. I’ve drove by it once, but it’s very secretive and tucked away which is strange. Anyways, I will ask on the visit but that’s good to hear.
As far as HR I understand, they just need workers in the hub to get them through busy times. I don’t expect to become good friends with any of them. Head down and work and try and learn as much as I can to hopefully add value and move up, that’s all I’m after.
Thanks for the information.

barnyard

KTM rider
Show up everyday and you will be permanent. At my center, all the peak people that stayed into February were able to sign FT bids. 5 routes were just bid, so a bunch of them will have their own route before their 1 year anniversary with the company.

Futuredriver(maybe)

Show up everyday and you will be permanent. At my center, all the peak people that stayed into February were able to sign FT bids. 5 routes were just bid, so a bunch of them will have their own route before their 1 year anniversary with the company.
Oh wow, so they are able to drive with their own route before they make a year? That’s something to look forward to

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
So it has nothing to do with being there for any length of time?
That will vary depending where you live. There are different contracts for different areas. Here just put your name on every job you’re even slightly interested in. Don’t worry about how many other people have signed a bid or their seniority dates. If you’re not eligible you won’t get the job.

barnyard

KTM rider
If I’m not mistaken, don’t you have to be union to place your name on any bid sheets? You have to make 90 days before you can do anything like that right?
The bids used to read that you had to be with the company for a year in order to sign a PT to FT bid. Now it is any PTer that has seniority. Locally, that is 30 working days. In my building, everyone kept after peak made seniority before the 22.4 bids were hung. Several signed, the rest were filled with off the street hires. We have 2 or 3 retiring before peak and there are PTers that were hired in June that are chomping to sign the bids to fill those jobs.

ZeroHandicapper

Olympic Preload Gold Medalist

Get your foot in, work hard and you will have a job. You will probably be laid off and then called back. It is a good time to get hired by UPS.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
The language is different all over the place but around here there is no seasonal period just 70 days and most people who stick it out that long are kept as long as they are not "bad at the job"

Your stand a better chance at being permanent working within 4 weeks from now at the very latest. If your training and paperwork is lax/non-existant. They may intend for you to be seasonal.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic

Oh and it's not going to be 3:45 to 9:00.
Expect to start as early as 23:00 and end as late as 13:00.
When things start to heat up I like to kill myself for money. I must have set off payroll alarms because for 2 weeks I used the straight time driver helper hours to hit the 40-hour rule by Wednesday and then earn overtime instantly on Thursday and Friday preload.