How do they know?

rod

Retired 22 years
Time to start another fabulous thread. This falls under the category --whos watching and what all do they know about you. Here's my example.

This year my property taxes actually went DOWN $220---That's a first since we built the house in 2004. Every other year they went up at least 200 bucks. Yesterday the good voters of my area passed a $350,000,000 dollar school referendum to build more palaces for the kiddies. Being an old fart I voted no but that's beside the point. (We are still paying off the last 2 referendums). My taxes will now go up $230----its like they know. One step forward - two steps back. OPP (old peoples problems)

oldngray

nowhere special
Time to start another fabulous thread. This falls under the category --whos watching and what all do they know about you. Here's my example.

This year my property taxes actually went DOWN $220---That's a first since we built the house in 2004. Every other year they went up at least 200 bucks. Yesterday the good voters of my area passed a $350,000,000 dollar school referendum to build more palaces for the kiddies. Being an old fart I voted no but that's beside the point. (We are still paying off the last 2 referendums). My taxes will now go up $230----its like they know. One step forward - two steps back. OPP (old peoples problems)
Here school taxes have an automatic reduction in millage over time, so periodically we have to keep voting on new school levies. Based on what value the property is assessed at which is a mystery number but usually less the the real market value.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I hate school referendums. They build these schools with no budget for maintenance. They fall apart within 10 years and then cost millions to build another.

rod

Retired 22 years
I hate school referendums. They build these schools with no budget for maintenance. They fall apart within 10 years and then cost millions to build another.

Gee--- that sounds familiar. The last one we had was for something like a 100 million bucks for a new middle school then the next year they came along and said the needed 8 million more so they could budget for heating and maintaining it. Around here they always have these referendum votes when the majority of those who would vote against then are still laying on some beach down south.

clean hairy

Around here, the high schools beg for money to build ultra expensive stadiums for football.
Yet, they do not beg for $ to keep the schools themselves maintained.....

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
We need to start building schools with brick , lead pipes , lead paint and asbestos with coal furnaces , like the ones built in the early 1900’s ,, they last forever , then turn them into overpriced condos !!

rod

Retired 22 years
We need to start building schools with brick , lead pipes , lead paint and asbestos with coal furnaces , like the ones built in the early 1900’s ,, they last forever , then turn them into overpriced condos !!

We've got two of those in town. Both were determined not worthy of being remodeled. One, a large Jr. High School, was sold for a dollar to a group who turned it into an artist colony complete with apartments and individual workshops and galleries. It's now completely full and is a hit. The other building was the old High School I graduated from. Even though it was "not worth fixing" it ended up to be the Districts main office building complete with all new windows, air conditioning, heating plant and security. But the referendums that got passed for millions of dollars were "for the kids".

rod

Retired 22 years
Nuns with rulers?

I didn't have Nuns but I would put "old lady Alaxandra" up against any Nun for smashing knuckles with a ruler. And Mr. Williams could lift you clear off the floor when he swatted you with his paddle with the holes drilled in it. I got it one time wearing only gym shorts. I get tears in my eyes to this day thinking about that pain.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I didn't have Nuns but I would put "old lady Alaxandra" up against any Nun for smashing knuckles with a ruler. And Mr. Williams could lift you clear off the floor when he swatted you with his paddle with the holes drilled in it. I got it one time wearing only gym shorts. I get tears in my eyes to this day thinking about that pain.
Come clean @rod we are all on the edge of our seats !!
What did you do ????

rod

Retired 22 years
Come clean @rod we are all on the edge of our seats !!
What did you do ????

Believe it or not my "offence" in gym class was while practicing marching (yes it was part of the class for some reason) I did a left face move instead of a right face. Mr. W was the gym teacher and he was a sadistic SOB. I got the ruler and a few other paddlings from other teachers but that one with gym shorts is the one that sticks with me. (Most of the time I got what I deserved).