how do you all deal with sore knees...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Seems like I have more soreness in my knees from all of the stairs I climb than any other part of the body, including my back. I was wondering if any of you have or are taking glucosamine, or "joint juice" or any of the other dozens of products out there...if you do take something have you found that they help. I am VERY careful getting on and off the car...but since the average driver climbs 600-900 steps just getting on and off of the car, and thats not including any building or apartment steps, one can see why knees would wear out..

Big Babooba

Seems like I have more soreness in my knees from all of the stairs I climb than any other part of the body, including my back. I was wondering if any of you have or are taking glucosamine, or "joint juice" or any of the other dozens of products out there...if you do take something have you found that they help. I am VERY careful getting on and off the car...but since the average driver climbs 600-900 steps just getting on and off of the car, and thats not including any building or apartment steps, one can see why knees would wear out..
Orthotic inserts or insoles for your shoes might help.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I am a big fan of orthotic inserts. They do help. I also just bought a bottle of Biofreeze gel. It's great. My chiropractor uses it.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I am a big fan of orthotic inserts. They do help. I also just bought a bottle of Biofreeze gel. It's great. My chiropractor uses it.

Are these the same soles that can be bought at drug store or are we talking about something custom??? Can you explain more about the gel, is this over the counter stuff that can be bought anywhere???

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I do take ibuprofen from time to time, but in regards to a "new" knee...well I figure the knees I have should get me a few more years....hopefully. Has anyone used glucosamine???

Yes 1500 mgs a day.
Doctors told me that the chondroitine has never proven to help any but that glucosamine has. A bit cheaper with just glucosamine.
Along that lines of thought - cutting bread, sugar, rice and potatoes out of my diet helped to relieve the inflammation in my knees a lot - insulin causes joint inflammation. Worked for me ... don't know about you or others.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If you have access to a gym do one set of leg extensions (one leg at a time) a day. Doesn't have to be heavy, just do 20 reps (per leg) using a weight that just starts to burn a little on the last few reps. The whole routine shouldn't take more than 90 seconds.
Assuming that what you have is tendinitis and not something more serious like arthritis, strenghthening the muscles around your knee cap will clear it up pretty quickly and is a lot better for you than taking pills every day.

over9five

Staff member
I'll add to that 2 1/2 years off from Package has made me a new man. My knees and shoulders had been hurting.

Now I'm 5 months back in Package and I still feel great. I suppose my parts will start to go bad again someday, but I'll go back to Feeders for a while and heal up.

musicman

I drink one joint juice a day. Strectching your hamstrings and quads before work helps alot. Fluid on the knee will cause stiffness and tightness. Ice works great for reducing fluid. If you have any history of arthritis, stay away from red meat.

CustomerConcern

Are these the same soles that can be bought at drug store or are we talking about something custom??? Can you explain more about the gel, is this over the counter stuff that can be bought anywhere???

No, not that rubber stuff at the store. Go see an Ortho/Peditrist (you know what I mean) they take a mold of your feet then they custom fit these "insoles". Works great, and its fully covered by our insurance.