How do you beat the heat?

mixyo

Dispatcher
We are supposed to have a heatwave here this week. Last week was pretty bad as well. I am a preloader (sunrise shift) and even though it's usually mild during that time, the humidity makes me sweat gallons. Aside from staying hydrated, is there anything else you guys do to beat the heat and stay more comfortable? I've been wearing Under Armour shirts and shorts (breathable, sweat-wicking) but it doesn't seem to be helping much.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
We are supposed to have a heatwave here this week. Last week was pretty bad as well. I am a preloader (sunrise shift) and even though it's usually mild during that time, the humidity makes me sweat gallons. Aside from staying hydrated, is there anything else you guys do to beat the heat and stay more comfortable? I've been wearing Under Armour shirts and shorts (breathable, sweat-wicking) but it doesn't seem to be helping much.
I'm the same way...humidity kills me. Bring a towel to mop the sweat off your face. I usually bring an extra tshirt or two, I'll change halfway thru and at the end of my shift. Baby powder or cornstarch helps too.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Work slower and safer.

Wear shorts

Light shirt

Take a shower before work (it will warm you down)

Wear deodorant(irrelevant, but still important)

Turn on the fans, if you don't know the button to do that, ask your shop steward.

Buy powerade - much better than water.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I feel ya. Accuweather is predicting mid-90s and high humidity for the remainder of July where I'm at... but last Sunday, they were forecasting mid-70s and predicting it'd be the coolest July on record - so who knows?

- If you come to work hydrated & stay hydrated, you'll be fine. Do not feel intimidated in using the drinking fountain.
- High heat + humidity is never comfortable, but if you start to feel really uncomfortable, splash water on your face.
- Some guys think it's helpful to wear a cold, wet towel around their neck; others wear feet warmers (when your feet are warm, your body diverts heat to them thus cooling off the rest of it). I've tried both these methods, they do work, but they're unnecessary for me.
- Jump into the pool when you get home!!

I wear the same clothing when it gets hot that I do the rest of the summer. I always thought Under Armour was a gay thing, though :-/.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The suggestions I have primarily apply to drivers. If you're a part time inside employee all you can really do is stay hydrated, try to get into the sort aisle or pickoff job for the fans or drive an incompatible train to get that bit of wind on you. It helped me when I was inside.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
The suggestions I have primarily apply to drivers. If you're a part time inside employee all you can really do is stay hydrated, try to get into the sort aisle or pickoff job for the fans or drive an incompatible train to get that bit of wind on you. It helped me when I was inside.
We have fans on the lines in our hub....they help a bit.

davidmex

Well-Known Troll
Troll

I'm also a proloader. I follow UPS H.M.A.L.L method. Hydrate More And Layer Less. I only drink water all day( about 2 gallons a day). I wear the Under Armour or addidas Running shorts(they are lighter& more breathable), but the key difference maker is to wear no underwear. Trust me it makes a huge difference.
I also use sleeveless shirts, stay away from cotton as you'll stay soaked all ur shift.

Thanks,
Davidmex

air_dr

I've heard quite a few people say go commando though I have never tried it myself. Doesn't it make you feel vulnerable?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
We have fans on the lines in our hub....they help a bit.

We had fans throughout our building as well, but they removed most of them. Nor are they buying bottled water or Gatorade this year. And in the Input, the Feeder manager is persisting that all overhead doors must be closed at all times (they use to permit idle doors to be open, and others to be open 1/4 of the way during trailer transitions).

I'd like to see UPS install one of those filtered water stations you place your empty bottles under to refill. They hook-up to existing drinking fountains, so I can't imagine that they'd be too expensive.

I'm also a proloader. I follow UPS H.M.A.L.L method. Hydrate More And Layer Less. I only drink water all day( about 2 gallons a day). I wear the Under Armour or addidas Running shorts(they are lighter& more breathable), but the key difference maker is to wear no underwear. Trust me it makes a huge difference.
I also use sleeveless shirts, stay away from cotton as you'll stay soaked all ur shift.

Thanks,
Davidmex

Dear Loyal Teamster,
There's a difference between working in the heat & humidity in the Midwest, as the OP will be facing next week, and the dry "heat" in San Diego.

J

jibbs

Drink water, not just at work but all day. It can be rough on the body to compensate for all the sweating we can do if you don't make an effort to stay hydrated before, during and after work.

Other than that, I just sweat it out if the heat's bad. I don't think I've had to deal with anything higher than 82-85, and that's only been a few times and for maybe 30min towards the end of preload. Occasionally I'm on a belt that has a pretty badass fan fixed to the wall/ceiling at the top of that belt. Cools everything down but blows a ridiculous amount of dust and other bull**** into your eyes. Pros and cons, I guess...

air_dr

You know, some people just naturally sweat more than others. When I did preload I remember one guy who had sweat showing through his shirt by the time he got to his work area before he even picked up a package. By the end of the shift he would be drenched.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
We only get bottled water in the summer...but I'll take it.

CHSP & management agreed to set-up bottled water coolers for us when it was expected to be 70 heat index by 6AM, and Gatorade (one per employee per day) if it was 80 heat index. Last summer, this equated into bottled water every single day and Gatorade several times per week.

This year they distributed large (but cheap) plastic water jugs. We're no longer getting bottled water or Gatorade due to high amounts of waste (people would take multiple bottles home with them, use them to "hose" off with, use them as cold packs, just take a few sips from 10+ bottles per sort, etc.)

air_dr

Vulnerable to what? Mr. Happy getting excited? Do hot girls actually work here, or.............
davidmex spoke about running shorts that are LIGHTER and more breathable. I feel like I would like a little more protection between the cardboard and my body than certain really light and baggy basketball shorts I have would offer. In fact, could see my self working without a shirt before I think I could get comfortable preloading commando in really light weight baggy gym shorts.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
The same way as we endure the cold. Deal with it. best you can. In the heat I have ice water, I put a cool rag on my pulse points, run through yard sprinklers when possible, and douse your head in ice water, when needed. I do not care how wet I look as long as I am cool. Actually I find breathing through a rag soaked in ice water, helps with the stifling hot, dont know why. It seems to cool my insides. I know there is stuff you can buy, to put around your neck, but I find the cold water works for me.