How do you beat the heat?

davidmex

Well-Known Troll
Troll
davidmex spoke about running shorts that are LIGHTER and more breathable. I feel like I would like a little more protection between the cardboard and my body than certain really light and baggy basketball shorts I have would offer. In fact, could see my self working without a shirt before I think I could get comfortable preloading commando in really light weight baggy gym shorts.

Baggy basketball shorts add Extra useless weight creating more heat. Running shorts shouldn't be lower than knee level.

1461248_fpx.tif

Thanks
Davidmex

davidmex

Well-Known Troll
Troll
davidmex spoke about running shorts that are LIGHTER and more breathable. I feel like I would like a little more protection between the cardboard and my body than certain really light and baggy basketball shorts I have would offer. In fact, could see my self working without a shirt before I think I could get comfortable preloading commando in really light weight baggy gym shorts.

Baggy basketball shorts add unnecessary weight & heat. Running short shouldn't be lower than knee level. here's an example.

1461248_fpx.tif

Thanks,
Davidmex

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You know, some people just naturally sweat more than others. When I did preload I remember one guy who had sweat showing through his shirt by the time he got to his work area before he even picked up a package. By the end of the shift he would be drenched.
Sounds like me...i know it's gonna be one of those days when it's so humid in the building, i'm already sweating by the time I get to my trucks lol.

The same way as we endure the cold. Deal with it. best you can. In the heat I have ice water, I put a cool rag on my pulse points, run through yard sprinklers when possible, and douse your head in ice water, when needed. I do not care how wet I look as long as I am cool. Actually I find breathing through a rag soaked in ice water, helps with the stifling hot, dont know why. It seems to cool my insides. I know there is stuff you can buy, to put around your neck, but I find the cold water works for me.

I thought that was you!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
CHSP & management agreed to set-up bottled water coolers for us when it was expected to be 70 heat index by 6AM, and Gatorade (one per employee per day) if it was 80 heat index. Last summer, this equated into bottled water every single day and Gatorade several times per week.

This year they distributed large (but cheap) plastic water jugs. We're no longer getting bottled water or Gatorade due to high amounts of waste (people would take multiple bottles home with them, use them to "hose" off with, use them as cold packs, just take a few sips from 10+ bottles per sort, etc.)
I usually bring my beverages from home anyway....

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I usually bring my beverages from home anyway....

I bring a bottle of water and re-fill it. I'd like to bring a small cooler with multiple bottles (and re-fill them daily), but I move around so much it becomes a hassle / I forget about it, LOL.

I use to drink at least one Mountain Dew every morning, but thankfully I've kicked that habit. Same with the energy drinks. Now I drink bottled water, and carry caffeine pills in case I need a bust of energy.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I bring a bottle of water and re-fill it. I'd like to bring a small cooler with multiple bottles (and re-fill them daily), but I move around so much it becomes a hassle / I forget about it, LOL.

I use to drink at least one Mountain Dew every morning, but thankfully I've kicked that habit. Same with the energy drinks. Now I drink bottled water, and carry caffeine pills in case I need a bust of energy.
I bring a beverage cooler with ice and water and two frozen gatorades. And to answer your earlier question, yeah there are a few attractive women on preload lol.

air_dr

I'm also a proloader. I follow UPS H.M.A.L.L method. Hydrate More And Layer Less. I only drink water all day( about 2 gallons a day). I wear the Under Armour or addidas Running shorts(they are lighter& more breathable), but the key difference maker is to wear no underwear. Trust me it makes a huge difference.
I also use sleeveless shirts, stay away from cotton as you'll stay soaked all ur shift.

Thanks,
Davidmex

I was just thinking, this is one of those points where official policy and real life are different: Supposedly you need to wear a shirt with sleeves, but no one seems to care Lots of people go sleeveless, and I have seen quite a few guys go beyond sleeveless to "sideless." I can't say I've personally seen anyone buried in some sweltering trailer working away shirtless, but it wouldn't surprise me.

davidmex

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Baggy basketball shorts add unnecessary weight and heat. Running short should be no longer than slightly above knee level.

Thanks,
Davidmex

QKRSTKR

I turn the dial for the a/c as cold as it will go, put the other dial to max a/c and make sure the windows are rolled up tight. Kinda sucks when your hands get cold.

Really couldn't resist. First year in feeders and it is so nice not to have to deal with the heat. I don't miss the back of that package car at all.