How do you beat the heat?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Crack a cold beer and get in the pool.

Really couldn't resist. First summer retired, and it is so nice not to have to deal with the heat. I don't miss the back of that package car at all.

(Credit to QKRSTKR.)

Crack a cold beer and get in the pool.

Really couldn't resist. First summer retired, and it is so nice not to have to deal with the heat. I don't miss the back of that package car at all.

(Credit to QKRSTKR.)
Just in case nobody else told you................................................................................you suck ..LOL and good for you...hope you have a long and enjoyable retirement!!!

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I was just thinking, this is one of those points where official policy and real life are different: Supposedly you need to wear a shirt with sleeves, but no one seems to care Lots of people go sleeveless, and I have seen quite a few guys go beyond sleeveless to "sideless." I can't say I've personally seen anyone buried in some sweltering trailer working away shirtless, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I wonder what management's response would be if the ladies wore those to work inside. Side boob anyone?

brown bomber

brown bomber
totally agree w/ Cosmo.......RETIRE, it's worked for me......if it's too hot outside, I'll go for a walk at the mall.......take care of yard work early AM, or late PM...if it's PM yard work, make sure you have a beer available...it's still quite warm...UPS taught me the importance of hydration

Cementups

Box Monkey
Has anyone ever actually known of a situation where some sup had a problem with what some inside worker was (or was not) wearing to work?

This guy :wave:

When I was on preload I had a pair of shorts that ripped out the back pocket. Now I was wear boxers so I was still covered, but it happened to be the day the DM was taking a tour of the facility in the morning. I was told not to wear them anymore because it was showing too much, though I was still completely covered.

Buck Fifty

All these are great answers and will help tremendously. I find that state of mind helps also. If you can trick. Your mind into thinking its cooler than it is, than your body will follow suit. Mind over matter. Good luck.

SmithBarney

Working unload I would have at least one gallon of water outside the trailer, (really it should be closer)
I'd refill during our break even then I would lose roughly 5-8lbs of water weight every morning.
Working preload, I'd have a little more versatile waterbottle(2or3 32oz each) the kind with a nozzle/nipple,
usually sitting on the back shelf of either of the PCs I was loading.

Nothing hydrates better than water, the key is hydrating early, making sure when you wake up at
3am(and probably before bed as well, but some folks bladders can't wail all night), you start drinking your
first 32oz on the way to work. When you are Hydrated you will see an immediate difference in energy and stamina levels.

BTW as a driver, I'd freeze 32oz(old gatorade bottles) and drink them as the melted through the day.

As for clothing, I don't know where you all work, but the belt I was on would destroy nylon gym
shorts in one day(if they'd make it 1/2day).many people would put tape on their pants to protect them while leaning on the belt.
I ended up with something like these:
Carhartt - Product - Men’s Double-Front Work Short
They are DOUBLE-FRONT WORK SHORT from carhart.(I also had Pants like this for the colder months)

As for going commando, NO WAY, much like the no dangly earring policy, no dangly dingle policy here.
I have worn compression shorts in the past, but they get warm, My wife found me a brand I really like
Terramar, everything is snug and cool, fully ventilated boxer-brief style!

Socks, yup socks I have a few pair(not enough to make a week) of LORPEN brand socks, amazing fit,
wicking and after a day on my feet I can tell the difference, I hate wearing my regular Hanes socks now.
There you have it, I didn't mention shoes, but there are too many fit issues, find what works.

air_dr

This guy :wave:

When I was on preload I had a pair of shorts that ripped out the back pocket. Now I was wear boxers so I was still covered, but it happened to be the day the DM was taking a tour of the facility in the morning. I was told not to wear them anymore because it was showing too much, though I was still completely covered.
When I was a preloader, on steamy nights I would wear a mesh football practice jersey with no shirt underneath and this big wig who was checking out our hub one morning told me I could have sold shirts like the one I was wearing at the gate that day.

When I was a preloader, on steamy nights I would wear a mesh football practice jersey with no shirt underneath and this big wig who was checking out our hub one morning told me I could have sold shirts like the one I was wearing at the gate that day.
That kind of shirt will get you into trouble, if you are a female!!!!!!LOL

air_dr

All these are great answers and will help tremendously. I find that state of mind helps also. If you can trick. Your mind into thinking its cooler than it is, than your body will follow suit. Mind over matter. Good luck.
This is a good point, but I don't know that it so much about "tricking your mind" as it is that UPS is not for sissies. The job is a workout, you'll get dirty, and when it hot, really sweaty. If that is emotionally traumatic to somebody, he may want to look for another job...in a nail salon or something.

air_dr

That kind of shirt will get you into trouble, if you are a female!!!!!!LOL
Yeah. LOL. Very true.

This is one area where guys can sure get away with a lot more than girls.

Since like over 90% of the people moving boxes inside the building are males, I figure my post is something most people can think about doing.

air_dr

2morrow is gonna suck @ preload, we're forecasted @ 66 degrees by 7AM.

Thanks,
Davidmex
Hang in there and remember, there's lots of places where it can be 86 degrees by 7AM with high humidity. And remember someone has to unload the package cars after they have been out on the road in the sun all day.

air_dr

As for clothing, I don't know where you all work, but the belt I was on would destroy nylon gym
shorts in one day(if they'd make it 1/2day).many people would put tape on their pants to protect them while leaning on the belt.

As for going commando, NO WAY, much like the no dangly earring policy, no dangly dingle policy here.
I have worn compression shorts in the past, but they get warm, My wife found me a brand I really like
Terramar, everything is snug and cool, fully ventilated boxer-brief style!
I think a lot depends on where exactly you work and what you do. The jeans I trashed over the winter I made into cutoffs for the summer and trashed them further. I really don't think nylon gym shorts would have held up for me either, but if I had been in a different kind of work area, (and we've got people here saying it works for them), gym shorts commando style might have been OK.

Drink water and Gatorade. I also keep a towel in a bag of ice in a cooler and I put around my neck and use it to soak my shirt. The air that hits you while you are driving feels good with the wet shirt. You can also get a spray bottle with Ice and water and spray yourself.