How do you beat the heat?

Cementups

Box Monkey
All these are great answers and will help tremendously. I find that state of mind helps also. If you can trick. Your mind into thinking its cooler than it is, than your body will follow suit. Mind over matter. Good luck.

This!!

I don't so much think it cooler. I just don't think so much about it being hot. The only time it gets to me is if I'm in the back of the truck over a minute looking for packages. The hot air starts to bother my lungs.

Buck Fifty

This!!

I don't so much think it cooler. I just don't think so much about it being hot. The only time it gets to me is if I'm in the back of the truck over a minute looking for packages. The hot air starts to bother my lungs.

Staying out of the back of truck is key, yet the OP is not a driver. Even on our hottest day I will only have a salt ring where my back hits the seat. Its called a great preloader.

J

jibbs

But getting back to the OP which was about the preload, or at least working in the building, would ANYBODY seriously like it really hot (and maybe humid too) for doing that kind of work?

60-75 seems to be the best temperature range for working inside. Even then, though, 75's cutting it a bit high... Nothing crazy, just not preferred.

Humidity's good for the grip when you don't have gloves. High humidity + high heat = ****ty preload, though.

stink219

I use OSHA's Heat Tool for iPhone. Between taking frequent breaks and reducing speed I can safely cool my body. Water, Rest and Shade!

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
This time of year, as I am driving by the farms when its 100 degrees outside, all I have to do is just look out the window at the Hispanics busting their asses in the fields doing the stoop labor that all the spoiled suburban teenage kids around here are too damn lazy to do any more, and all of a sudden the fact that I am sweating my ass off in that hot dusty truck just doesnt seem to bother me quite so much. My guess...is that none of the men and women I see out there pruning the grapes or picking the berries are going to have a whole lot of sympathy for me if I started bitching to them about how hot it gets in the back of the truck. I would also guess that every one of them would be quite happy to trade jobs with me if given the chance. So instead of complaining, I just keep a moist towel wrapped around my neck, drink plenty of ice water, and deal with it.

Indecisi0n

This time of year, as I am driving by the farms when its 100 degrees outside, all I have to do is just look out the window at the Hispanics busting their asses in the fields doing the stoop labor that all the spoiled suburban teenage kids around here are too damn lazy to do any more, and all of a sudden the fact that I am sweating my ass off in that hot dusty truck just doesnt seem to bother me quite so much. My guess...is that none of the men and women I see out there pruning the grapes or picking the berries are going to have a whole lot of sympathy for me if I started bitching to them about how hot it gets in the back of the truck. I would also guess that every one of them would be quite happy to trade jobs with me if given the chance. So instead of complaining, I just keep a moist towel wrapped around my neck, drink plenty of ice water, and deal with it.

​....stay cool.

S

serenity now

I simply adhere to the UPS training:

A. I take frequent breaks.
B. I avoid any strenuous activity.
C. I wear light colored clothing.
D. I stay out of the sun during the hottest part of the day.

Problem Solved

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I just think about driving down the same roads 5 months ago and and being buried in a snow drift and being pulled out by a County plow. I little hot air on the back roads at 65mph is a lot better then the alternative.

DS

Fenderbender
It was the hottest day I've seen in years here today.My t shirt was soaked from about 09:45
till 19:15 when I punched out.It almost killed me walking into the fridge at a produce distributor.
Ya know,for me,thats the killer,hot cold hot cold all day long.
It screws up my lungs.I usually get chest colds after a brutally hot week.
One driver told me today he thought he was gonna die 3 times today.
But he got through it.