How do you beat the heat?

davidmex

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Go to your local court, set up a date for jury duty. UPS pays you full 8 hours if you go to Jury Duty. Its a way to beat the heat for one day.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I've worked here for 20 years and driving for 17 years and this is the first day I ever even considered calling it in. I was literally sick to my stomach in the morning. Don't get me wrong, we've had days just as hot and brutal but not 4 days straight. And tomorrow is still supposed to be bad. Can't wait till the rain comes Saturday so I can get a nice cooler round of golf in on Sunday.

​one more day...

10:27 tomorrow at LV. Bring the rice burner.:happy-very:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I've worked here for 20 years and driving for 17 years and this is the first day I ever even considered calling it in. I was literally sick to my stomach in the morning. Don't get me wrong, we've had days just as hot and brutal but not 4 days straight. And tomorrow is still supposed to be bad. Can't wait till the rain comes Saturday so I can get a nice cooler round of golf in on Sunday.

​one more day...
I hear ya. Today was the first morning in 6years i felt like i could pass out on the line. The more water i drank, the more naueous i felt. Last two days were brutal....hopefully a better day on monday.

Waste Manager

I looked up how to make portable A/C units..basically,it's a cooler..filled with ice..then you make a lid out of some plywood to fit the cooler..2 holes ..one for a small fan..other is the ''exhaust''..the fan can either be battery operated..or..I'm going to try a small solar panel to power the fan..
The fan blows downward into the cooler over the ice..the air comes out the ''exhaust'' hole..you could rig that up with some dryer type venting hose..so you could point the hose at your face/body..
One guy goes as far as to keep the cooler looking like a cooler..leaving the lid on..so it could be in the back where y'all keep your supplies behind the driver's seat..
Secure the cooler with tie downs...run a long wire from the fan to the solar panel..which could be secured on top of dashboard...if you're going to keep the cooler in back..then it's going to take some thinking on how to get the cool air to the front..
Going to make a prototype and test this out..but checked on youtube..and it does work..
The thinking of letting it still look like a cooler..as we all know how mgmt. might think if they see someone wheeling this contraption in every day..but if it looks like a cooler full of ice and cold water bottles..and the fan on the wood thing left in the back,locker,trunk of car??..bushes down the road..then...who's to say..
I think also the cooler is going to not have any drain hole in it..again..in case mgmt. thinks it's going to leak all over the precious cardboard..off to the local second hand shop for a cooler!!..

mixyo

Dispatcher
I hear ya. Today was the first morning in 6years i felt like i could pass out on the line. The more water i drank, the more naueous i felt. Last two days were brutal....hopefully a better day on monday.

Yesterday was awful. I almost had to leave work early. Drinking lots of water and Gatorade did nothing for me.

Upsmule

Yesterday was awful. I almost had to leave work early. Drinking lots of water and Gatorade did nothing for me.

As has been already mentioned.... if you haven't prepared by hydrating the night / day before, your screwed. Even that's no guarantee. When you do what we do for a living you have to take care of yourself year round. The job alone is hazardous enough without extreme weather. It just takes a toll on the body. If you want to have a life, and enjoy a hard earned pension for as many years as possible....take daily measures towards good health, or forget it.

oldngray

nowhere special
As has been already mentioned.... if you haven't prepared by hydrating the night / day before, your screwed. Even that's no guarantee. When you do what we do for a living you have to take care of yourself year round. The job alone is hazardous enough without extreme weather. It just takes a toll on the body. If you want to have a life, and enjoy a hard earned pension for as many years as possible....take daily measures towards good health, or forget it.

After days like this I needed to spend all night rehydrating.

Upsmule

How do you do this when you get home at 9:30, shower, eat then pass out because its so late?

Honestly, I went to bed Wed night feeling like I had just eaten breakfast lunch and dinner in one sitting, but I hadn't eaten very much at all. Drank tons of fluids though.

kingOFchester

Thinking that somehow it would beneficial to rig up a small fan, perhaps several PC fans, to a 18V battery (Makita, Dewalt). I use a Makita radio and the battery charges in less then 30 minutes and lasts longer then a full day on the truck.

Also thinking the largest cooler that has the V top like a house roof. Design it so that when carrying in and out in the AM/PM all the power and exhaust would be on the inside under the swivel top. When you place it in the truck, you swivel the top open and then you have a secondary plywood top with the fan, battery hookup and exhaust hole.

Talking about a cooler like this:

cooler.gif
cooler.gif

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
How do you do this when you get home at 9:30, shower, eat then pass out because its so late?

When I get home I peel off the nasty wet browns, shower (again), eat the dinner my wife saved me from when everyone else in the house ate 3 hours earlier, drink about 4 tall glasses of sugar free kool-aid, pull out my tablet and surf the web a bit then either watch tv, a movie on my laptop or read an e-book on my tablet. This gets me to about 11:30-midnight then I hit the rack.