How do you change the culture being a steward for the part timers?

Hey brothers and sisters , I was recently elected as a steward at my hub in so-cal. I am a loader that has been with the company for just over a year.

Something I have been struggling with is trying to get my members involved and engaged with the union.

I can’t get anybody to file grievances or report any issues to me like supervisors working etc…

Have any of you actually made a positive culture change at your yard? Would love tips to be pointed in the right direction.

Nah
Have any of you actually made a positive culture change at your yard? Would love tips to be pointed in the right direction.
Best I've ever been able to do is get others to ask me why management never :censored2:ed with me, or for advice when certain things happen. Naturally every word of advice I've ever given was ignored. I wasn't a steward but I tried to get others involved. I almost got one guy to do the Teamsters Night at the Zoo thing. Never did hear whether he took his family to that or not. Guessing not.

I don't know man, I'm a fatalist. I think PTers are basically hopeless. They just want to get their 3.5 and bolt. No waves. No trouble.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
Something I have been struggling with is trying to get my members involved and engaged with the union.
586C0CD7-5988-4D23-A692-CC97BAA52B6E.jpeg

Box Handler of Dallas

While not a steward, I have been working with the newer part timers in my area on how to file pay and supervisor working grievances. I've found a big motivator is tell & show them a few grievance checks. They see that $1,000+ check and they get it. I've also made copies of past grievances I've filed and won so they have a better understanding on how to word it and what to include.

542thruNthru

Hey brothers and sisters , I was recently elected as a steward at my hub in so-cal. I am a loader that has been with the company for just over a year.

I can’t get anybody to file grievances or report any issues to me like supervisors working etc…

SoCal? Where?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Introduce yourself as a steward for anyone who doesn't know you and new hires (this is important, grabbing newbs on the way in helps set their understanding, it's much less effort than trying to fix broken long timers). Gauge everyone's understanding of unions and give them a quick summary of any points they need to know. Hand them hard copies of the contract, or help them download digital copies, and point them to the most important parts that effect them directly.

Explain the main issues your building faces, how they are being addressed and what they can do to help and why they should. Give them your contact info, make yourself available. I started a social media group to help communicate issues more quickly. I also use it to do ongoing education regarding the contract and unions issues.

Finally, set an example. Hold management accountable, don't back down no matter what pressure they apply, and grieve all intimidation, harassment, retaliation and interference for conducting the duties of your position. Best of luck, hit me up in PM if you need any more specific advice.

rod

Retired 22 years
Best I've ever been able to do is get others to ask me why management never :censored2:ed with me, or for advice when certain things happen. Naturally every word of advice I've ever given was ignored. I wasn't a steward but I tried to get others involved. I almost got one guy to do the Teamsters Night at the Zoo thing. Never did hear whether he took his family to that or not. Guessing not.

I don't know man, I'm a fatalist. I think PTers are basically hopeless. They just want to get their 3.5 and bolt. No waves. No trouble.
Bingo

nWo

I mean you were recently elected. And nobody has reported any issues to you yet. Maybe they haven't had issues since you've been elected.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I mean you were recently elected. And nobody has reported any issues to you yet. Maybe they haven't had issues since you've been elected.

Go back to the General Election and every other UPS Contract .. (Less than 20 % participation)... We always had this lack of awareness or apathy among ALL our members, more so with our part timers. The grievance system is broken, still stuck in the l950's, the Company will do want it wants because the current penalties do not outweigh their associate costs.

The brave ones will file grievances and they will have a target on their backs..simple truth. No one wants to sign up to that, reason they have No Faith that their local union not matter how militant and true has the resources to defend them.

All this talk about us having a voice now since O'Brien took office maybe a token..Hate to say it but there is an Universal Law in place that the average member has no clue about, beyond the Contract. Much like we are seeing with our Political Party System, everybody is wearing the same tie clip and are just giving up lip service to obtain their positions of power.

Hang in there Brother...it is good you have the balls to become a steward..I pray that the O'Brien team can fix the grievance procedures or increase the penalties involved with poor management decisions it will help your cause.

Last edited:

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Get connected with not only your shift but full time drivers and stewards. All the sketchy stuff like supervisors working inside or running a route is a lot easier to catch when you relay that information between each other in the middle of a shift transition.

PT Car Washer

Get connected with not only your shift but full time drivers and stewards. All the sketchy stuff like supervisors working inside or running a route is a lot easier to catch when you relay that information between each other in the middle of a shift transition.
Haven't seen a sup run a route in years. That is what PT air drivers are for.

wilberforce15

There is also a simple pricing issue.
It is very hard for the union to tell a junior part-timer that the union is worth 500 bucks a year.
I pay it and I believe in it. But that doesn't mean I have good reasons to tell the new guys.

Integrity

Binge Poster

What did you do to try to get them to file grievances or report any issues to you?

How many in your work area have more seniority than you?

How well do your know your Local Officials?