How do you defend against dogs?

Holydriver

So I used to get bit by a dog about every 3 months, then there was one week where I got bit 3 times, and finally my last time was this past peak. Now a days if I see a dog that is even remotely scary I drop the package right where I am and walk back to the truck. But I wonder, if you were going to get bit and you could defend yourself, would you hit the dog? There are a few that Id love to hit in the face with the DIAD but I assume UPS would fire me.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1452136520.306822.jpg

Carry one of these in your back pocket big end is filled with lead shot. It will leave a mark on a dogs head

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
So I used to get bit by a dog about every 3 months, then there was one week where I got bit 3 times, and finally my last time was this past peak. Now a days if I see a dog that is even remotely scary I drop the package right where I am and walk back to the truck. But I wonder, if you were going to get bit and you could defend yourself, would you hit the dog? There are a few that Id love to hit in the face with the DIAD but I assume UPS would fire me.

What do you do to upset them that much?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I outran a german shepherd 2 weeks ago in the dark lol. The kid can still move, not the 4.47 40 speed in high school but can still get it and use that spare 5th and 6th gear if i need it. Ok so i got a little head start on it but was still moving like a sumbitch lmfao.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I don't turn my back on an aggressive dog and I talk sternly to it not showing any fear, they sense that. If it still comes at me, I will beat it with the package I am holding or the DIAD if that's all that's in my hand. Its all part of the job, you aren't going to be fired for defending yourself.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I don't turn my back on an aggressive dog and I talk sternly to it not showing any fear, they sense that. If it still comes at me, I will beat it with the package I am holding or the DIAD if that's all that's in my hand. Its all part of the job, you aren't going to be fired for defending yourself.
Im a animal lover but ILL BEAT THE LIVING PEE-PEE OUT OF A DOG IF I HAVE TO lol.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What do you do to upset them that much?
drive up to their house in a big brown truck and get out with cardboard boxes. the nerve of people like me!
I'm in my 30th year with the company, on a "dog rich" route, and have only been nipped twice?
It's been my experience that dogs are excellent judges of character.;)

Just kidding, a bit.

I've always contended that dogs sense fear, like we smell a skunk, and they don't like it.
It's all about being relaxed and at ease with a dog.
You have to project yourself as an alpha, that you belong there and aren't afraid.
These are pack animals and recognize a pecking order, and identifying the dogs who feel they are the alpha is equally important.

This "skill" can't be faked, or taught on a website, so don't try it if you don't truly understand.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I'm in my 30th year with the company, on a "dog rich" route, and have only been nipped twice?
It's been my experience that dogs are excellent judges of character.;)

Just kidding, a bit.

I've always contended that dogs sense fear, like we smell a skunk, and they don't like it.
It's all about being relaxed and at ease with a dog.
You have to project yourself as an alpha, that you belong there and aren't afraid.
These are pack animals and recognize a pecking order, and identifying the dogs who feel they are the alpha is equally important.

This "skill" can't be faked, or taught on a website, so don't try it if you don't truly understand.
It's kinda like dealing with a sawed off Pee wee Herman lookalike center mgr. If you look like a willing victim, you might as well be one.