How do you document to the DOT examiner that health condition is stable?

8000Shelf

I'm a full time driver and have my dot physical in about a week. I unfortunately have a medical issue that I will have to disclose and show that it (and it's treatment) is stable/won't effect my driving capabilities. My doc said he will document this for me anyway I need. I called my local dot doctor's office and asked what forms/releases/documentation/etc was needed. They couldn't tell me because nobody there knew..? I know us UPSERS are not all in perfect health and therefore have been through this themselves. What have you done in the past to document that a health issue you have is stable with treatment, prior to the physical. Thanks!

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Bring a signed doctor's note saying the condition is stable and any other paperwork you can get to prove it. The doctor doing the physical is going to want to see it's stable before issuing the card.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
If its something he wont check, not knowing what you are talking of, I wouldnt check the box. Especially if its mental. Your doc has the facts, this guy checks your pulse.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
If its something he wont check, not knowing what you are talking of, I wouldnt check the box. Especially if its mental. Your doc has the facts, this guy checks your pulse.
Theres usually the threat of a fine/jail time if you sign the form knowingly not disclosing a condition.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Lying, or omitting known conditions on your DOT physical, can lead to disqualification.

Always fill it out accurately or risk losing it.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I'm a full time driver and have my dot physical in about a week. I unfortunately have a medical issue that I will have to disclose and show that it (and it's treatment) is stable/won't effect my driving capabilities. My doc said he will document this for me anyway I need. I called my local dot doctor's office and asked what forms/releases/documentation/etc was needed. They couldn't tell me because nobody there knew..? I know us UPSERS are not all in perfect health and therefore have been through this themselves. What have you done in the past to document that a health issue you have is stable with treatment, prior to the physical. Thanks!

It kind of depends on what the condition is and what the DOT rules state about being "stable."

Even if you have a note from your doctor saying your condition is stable and does not affect your driving, the DOT may require further testing.

If it something not regulated by the DOT, your doctors note may suffice and let you pass.

It depends on the medical condition. Bring your doctors note with you stating what he is treating you for, that it is stable and does not affect your driving abilities and see what the DOT doctor says.

Do not omit the condition on the DOT form. You sign a waiver allowing the DOT access to all your medical records.

If they, or UPS finds out later about your condition and that you did not disclose it, you can lose your medical card.

Good luck. Hopefully you will not have any additional hoops to jump through to get your renewal.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Lying, or omitting known conditions on your DOT physical, can lead to disqualification.

Always fill it out accurately or risk losing it.
Years ago when filling out the form, I answered yes to the question regarding illegal drug use. The question asked if any drugs were used in the past. Told DOT physician I had smoked a little pot back in college years ago. He told me to answer no from now on.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Years ago when filling out the form, I answered yes to the question regarding illegal drug use. The question asked if any drugs were used in the past. Told DOT physician I had smoked a little pot back in college years ago. He told me to answer no from now on.

That is because the Medical Examiners Certificate does not ask about prior drug use.

It asks if you are currently using or taking a narcotic or habit forming drugs.

If you are currently not smoking weed, then you can check the no box. Exactly what the DOT doctor told you to do.

49 CFR 391.41 Physical Qualifications for Drivers

(12)(i) Does not use any drug or substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11 Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic, or other habit-forming drug.
(ii) Does not use any non-Schedule I drug or substance that is identified in the other Schedules in 21 part 1308 except when the use is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner, as defined in § 382.107, who is familiar with the driver’s medical history and has advised the driver that the substance will not adversely affect the driver’s ability to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle.

8000Shelf

I feel like lying on the form would set me up for possible termination. It defiantly has crossed my mind, but seems like it could fall under "Dishonesty". Also, think about if you were to ever have to file workers comp. As those of us that have been through that process know, then can and will pull your medical records if you are out of service past TAW. Not to mention if you were ever in an accident, and your medical records were subpoenaed. See my concern? I'd almost rather fail the physical and see what my options were instead not disclosing health issues, as tempting as it will be. Thanks for the reply's so far everyone.

8000Shelf

Do you do this yourself on your physical? Maybe I'm just trying to be too honest if most drivers don't disclose anything.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
is the condition you have listed on the DOT physical form? if yes, bring dr. note.

I used to check certain boxes yes for surgeries that happened 20 years ago . the dr. told me the other day that they are only concerned with recent problems or ongoing treatment like blood pressure meds.

8000Shelf

It kind of depends on what the condition is and what the DOT rules state about being "stable."

Even if you have a note from your doctor saying your condition is stable and does not affect your driving, the DOT may require further testing.

If it something not regulated by the DOT, your doctors note may suffice and let you pass.

It depends on the medical condition. Bring your doctors note with you stating what he is treating you for, that it is stable and does not affect your driving abilities and see what the DOT doctor says.

Do not omit the condition on the DOT form. You sign a waiver allowing the DOT access to all your medical records.

If they, or UPS finds out later about your condition and that you did not disclose it, you can lose your medical card.

Good luck. Hopefully you will not have any additional hoops to jump through to get your renewal.

I have some joint pain that was referred to by one doctor as "arthritis". It's mostly in my hip and knee on the right side as I'm sure many of you experience. I also have some anxiety. Both under control without controlled substance drugs.

8000Shelf

my rule is no prescriptions- no tell.

p.s. almost everyone at this company has anxiety. don't sweat it.

I've been out of work on Short Term Disability for about a month with the hip and knee pain. My doc wanted me to rest it up while he did an MRI, since I've had this pain for quite some time. The MRI was negative and only showed inflammation. With that said, I will have to explain why I've been out of work on my return to duty physical / dot exam. I hear you on what your saying about the prescriptions, but I am on two, they just aren't controlled substances.

P

pickup

At some point in the future, Electronic Health Records are going to allow Doctor B to see what Doctor A diagnosed and did for a single patient, even if Doctor A And Doctor B are in two different states. I don't think that this reality is in effect yet, but technically under Obamacare, it should be.

So , I think it would be wise to disclose something that isn't known to a D.O.T. examiner at the time of the physical, especially, as in this case, something that isn't going to fail the patient anyway.

To the original poster, I am probably telling you something you already know, but make sure that the two prescriptions you are on do not have any warnings like "Do not operate heavy machinery or drive while on " said medications. The reasons should be obvious.

8000Shelf

At some point in the future, Electronic Health Records are going to allow Doctor B to see what Doctor A diagnosed and did for a single patient, even if Doctor A And Doctor B are in two different states. I don't think that this reality is in effect yet, but technically under Obamacare, it should be.

So , I think it would be wise to disclose something that isn't known to a D.O.T. examiner at the time of the physical, especially, as in this case, something that isn't going to fail the patient anyway.

To the original poster, I am probably telling you something you already know, but make sure that the two prescriptions you are on do not have any warnings like "Do not operate heavy machinery or drive while on " said medications. The reasons should be obvious.

I've already decided that I'm going to disclose my health history, at least to some extent. I'm still wondering if there is any specific form I have to bring into the doctor (i.e. off of UPSERS.com); or do I just have a note written and signed by the treating physician, along with the most recent office visit notes and bring those into the dot examiner?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I've already decided that I'm going to disclose my health history, at least to some extent. I'm still wondering if there is any specific form I have to bring into the doctor (i.e. off of UPSERS.com); or do I just have a note written and signed by the treating physician, along with the most recent office visit notes and bring those into the dot examiner?

Without knowing the condition, I would just say a note from your doctor describing your condition, stating that is well controlled and that it does not affect your driving ability.

If it something like diabetes, high blood pressure, nervousness, the note should be fine.

If it is something more serious, such as epileptic siezures, arythmias, etc. be prepared to have your card pulled and undergo testing.