How Do You Feel About This?

NY11725

I believe that is in the NE supplement, not the NMA, not 100% sure...

OT,

Yesterday I had a problem with being offered a VLO....they tried to send home a PT'er before me, I asked to talk with a steward and he said that every sup and steward will give you a different answer about it. His opinion was that seniority ruled, VLO was offered top down and forced bottom up. But he also said that if someone ASKED to go home first they go home first, no matter seniority. That to me is BS because what people do in our operation is come in an hour early just to go home!

So basically, it depends on who you talk to HOW that language is implemented. Should seniority always prevail? I think so. But it doesn't.

they need to step up their game already

brownrodster

Then the other pick offs should be doing it too...

Work as directed. If you have a problem with it either talk to your union steward or some guy named stewart. Then file a grievance. No matter how much seniority you do or do not have you still have to work as directed. We have all told you that if you are less capable then they will direct you to do less stuff.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Then the other pick offs should be doing it too...

That is NOT how the company works, and you are not going to amend that, no matter how many months and eventually years you accumulate. Like others say: the more capable you are, and the more you show, the more work you get. period. If you are young and capable and not doing a good job, you will be harrassed to get out the door, period.

konsole

The PT sups are told to send some of their workers home before the very end so they don't have full staff for the last 15 minutes or so while the package flow has slowed to a trickle. This gets irritating at first especially when the people being sent home really don't deserve the "special treatment", but you soon realize that these people either have another job to get to or wouldnt be much help at the end anyway. I have the most seniority out of the 5 people on my belt but I'm always the last to leave, partly because I always have packages to load at the end, but also because management knows I will be effective in helping out with whatever needs to be done at the end of the day. I know it gets irritating dealing with people that refuse to clear a jam or slack off and then others are forced to help them but management won't do anything about them as long as they do an "OK" job of doing their specified job. I would say just be happy that your worth ethic is well respected and you will probably be far down the list of the first people to fire. Me and my belt sup get along great and we frequently talk about issues with people on our belt, because we also have issues with some excessive chatting while packages get missed or jams need clearing or trucks are left poorly loaded. Its nice to work with a supervisor who cares but he and I both realize that the actions taken against bad employees is slim to none. Remember that this isnt a first choice job for a good portion of the part timers and many could care less about how well they do a dirty manual labor warehouse job at 4 in the morning that they didnt need any degree for that they also feel management is trying to screw them over in. Not having that appealing of pay and work type means that a majority of your coworkers will slack off and try to get out as soon as possible as long as they get there benefits. This is why I got really interested once news of some sort of Universal Health Care bill was being throw around because then what would make our job appealing to anyone.

Last edited:

NY11725

The PT sups are told to send some of their workers home before the very end so they don't have full staff for the last 15 minutes or so while the package flow has slowed to a trickle. This gets irritating at first especially when the people being sent home really don't deserve the "special treatment", but you soon realize that these people either have another job to get to or wouldnt be much help at the end anyway. I have the most seniority out of the 5 people on my belt but I'm always the last to leave, partly because I always have packages to load at the end, but also because management knows I will be effective in helping out with whatever needs to be done at the end of the day. I know it gets irritating dealing with people that refuse to clear a jam or slack off and then others are forced to help them but management won't do anything about them as long as they do an "OK" job of doing their specified job. I would say just be happy that your worth ethic is well respected and you will probably be far down the list of the first people to fire. Me and my belt sup get along great and we frequently talk about issues with people on our belt, because we also have issues with some excessive chatting while packages get missed or jams need clearing or trucks are left poorly loaded. Its nice to work with a supervisor who cares but he and I both realize that the actions taken against bad employees is slim to none. Remember that this isnt a first choice job for a good portion of the part timers and many could care less about how well they do a dirty manual labor warehouse job at 4 in the morning that they didnt need any degree for that they also feel management is trying to screw them over in. Not having that appealing of pay and work type means that a majority of your coworkers will slack off and try to get out as soon as possible as long as they get there benefits. This is why I got really interested once news of some sort of Universal Health Care bill was being throw around because then what would make our job appealing to anyone.

I understand

browndevil

Boy I know I am going to get slammed for this one but here I go....

Women have no buisness being union stewards, especially in a factory enviroment. Way too emotional to deal with the issues that occur daily. A woman's decision making process changes based on the time of the month, the temperature, and god know's what else. I have never seen a female union steward, if you have one you must work out of a very small center.......
We can only hope this Neanderthal thought will be gone by the time our daughters enter the workforce. Hmmm ever wonder why we have to enact hate crime laws? Look no further other than to protect thinking such as this.

There should be a button to "adjust" the post,like spellcheck. Call it "smartcheck" For example.....

With Smartcheck:

One of the things about equality is not just that you be treated equally to a man, but that you treat yourself equally to the way you treat a man.

Without Smartcheck:

was just wondering how it was over on the other side of UPS about openly gay drivers

we dont have any (males) now, but about 3 years ago we did, and the guys harrased him so bad that he quit

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
There should be a button to "adjust" the post,like spellcheck. Call it "smartcheck" For example.....

With Smartcheck:

One of the things about equality is not just that you be treated equally to a man, but that you treat yourself equally to the way you treat a man.

Without Smartcheck:

was just wondering how it was over on the other side of UPS about openly gay drivers

we dont have any (males) now, but about 3 years ago we did, and the guys harrased him so bad that he quit
Cache, do I need to say that I think there is a certain person that deserves this same equality? I know you know what I mean.....................:happy2:

D

Dis-organized Labor

Boy I know I am going to get slammed for this one but here I go....

Women have no buisness being union stewards, especially in a factory enviroment. Way too emotional to deal with the issues that occur daily. A woman's decision making process changes based on the time of the month, the temperature, and god know's what else. I have never seen a female union steward, if you have one you must work out of a very small center.......

You're either brave or stupid. See, I am VERY objective, but I have a strong opinion it is the latter.