How do you guys handle the heat in those "hot" states

brown_trousers

temps climbed to a scorching 91 degrees this last week. that's HOT for us. But it made me wonder how upsers survive in places like Texas and Arizona where I'd imagine the heat to be unbearable. They must provide some kind of cooling in those buildings... don't they?

satellitedriver

temps climbed to a scorching 91 degrees this last week. that's HOT for us. But it made me wonder how upsers survive in places like Texas and Arizona where I'd imagine the heat to be unbearable. They must provide some kind of cooling in those buildings... don't they?
I load my car in direct sunshine from a P6 trailer in a WalMart parking lot in over 100 degree heat, then run a 10+hr day. The back of the car stays at about 140+ during the day.
People, constantly/daily, ask how can I do it.
My answer is always glib, trying to joke about the heat.
Truth be told, I just except it and prepare for it.
UPS provides nothing for my survival, except poorly planned dispatches.
I take the pay and go my way.

old levi's

blank space
Well, it's kind of like riding in a shopping buggy going down a steep hill. No steering, no brakes.
All you can do is ride it out.

But, it really makes you appreciate cooler weather when it finally gets here in the late fall.
I don't start wearing a jacket or vest unto I absolutely have to. Trying to even it out , I guess.

Don't wear underwear leave the top three buttons undone and roll up your sleeves. When people ask you if your hot just say no. After a while you will believe it yourself.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Dealing with heat (or cold) is sometimes more mental than physical. I have found that if I don't think about the heat or cold and focus on what I am doing that it doesn't seem to be as bad. Make sure you hydrate properly before work--doing so after the fact may be too late.

DorkHead

I`m sure most Texans wonder how we handle the -30 windchills and 3 ft. snow storms during the winter.

union4life

I`m sure most Texans wonder how we handle the -30 windchills and 3 ft. snow storms during the winter.
You can say that again! I am a package car driver in D/FW TX. I deal with it by taking 4 weeks vacation in July and August. The other 2 weeks I take during February. I hate the cold too!

thessalonian13

I'd rather have heat than the blizzards of the past 2 years... I bring lots of fluids and a change of socks and shirts sometimes.
I would rather deliver in the cold than in the heat... I can always warm up by adding another layer... 100 degree heat, you can't cool down no matter how much water you drink.

brett636

I usually just turn the a/c up another notch. If that doesn't work I turn it over to max a/c and that takes care of it. :) Although I don't live in a warm weather state like Texas it sure felt like it a month ago.

brown_trousers

You can say that again! I am a package car driver in D/FW TX. I deal with it by taking 4 weeks vacation in July and August. The other 2 weeks I take during February. I hate the cold too!

lol. Am I the only one who actually enjoys delivering in the snow? I find it to be rather adventurous, and my sup does not push for production as hard on snowy/icy days. Sometimes I wish every day were a cold and snowy day..... except of course when I'm on vacation, then I want 90 degrees and sunny. Is that asking too much?

HomeDelivery

well, you guys get paid by the hour... and when snow arrives for FedEx HD, i'll switch to a temp driver basis (that gets paid by the hour too!) only then will i enjoy driving around in the snow/ice since my stops per road hour drops dramatically