How do you guys handle the heat in those "hot" states

brown_trousers

well, you guys get paid by the hour... and when snow arrives for FedEx HD, i'll switch to a temp driver basis (that gets paid by the hour too!) only then will i enjoy driving around in the snow/ice since my stops per road hour drops dramatically

I feel your pain, I tried a brief employment with FedEx home delivery and pretty much hated it. But I guess it all depends on the contractor who owns your route. In the end, I chose to stick it out with UPS instead.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Would much rather deliver in the cold and snow. Can always put on more clothes to be comfortable. In the heat I can only take so much off before the customers would start complaining. Walk around naked and the dog even covers her eyes!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I drink a lot, about two gallons a day.
IMAG0024.jpg

HomeDelivery

lol scratch, i do the same exact thing... & get laughed at in my terminal, but i'm not going to the hospital due to heat exhaustion or dehydration

but I pack a banana or 2 with some cookies or pretzels instead...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You know it's hot when you have 2 pads of delivery notices on the dash drying out and 1 in your pocket.
Just keep rotating them all day!

I stick my billfold in the lunchbox and my Infonotices in my backpocket on the high humidity days.....they stay dry! I gave up trying to keep them in my shirt pocket, I can't write on soggy paper. My phone is staying in the DIAD 3 slot too until it cools off enough to go back in my shirt pocket.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Today it really got to me, Ill still take the heat over the cold, there are only so many ways to move with 5 layers, and none of them fast.
I sat down in the ac in the docs office and recovered. I just had a 40 pkg delivery of 50 pd pkgs, with help so I never got out of the back of the truck, then a pick of of 18 OS 50 pdes, and they kept bringing them out on the forklift, never left the back of the truck.
bout that time I said screw it, Im getting sick. cooled off and continued on, after dousing my head with ice water. You can here the "hydration rolling around in your gut, but needed to cool the blood, only way.

working up a sweat

I work in a modern building built in 1997. They even installed an ice machine 2 months ago. 10 drinking fountains. Load up on cold water during PCM. When flow gets slower or switching trailers, get a drink. Some people bring in small towels to wipe the sweat. Winter is worse. Plane shows up on tarmac, the ground crew is on tarmac in the cold and wind. Also the guys who have to push the cans onto the old retro flatbeds(used during peak) have to watch their step with all the rollers on the icy exposed trailers. During the winter grab your jacket, A hoodie is not enough.

upsgrunt

I went to the Illinois football game today; temperature was 98 at the 2:30 kickoff. I've never seen so many people carried out on stretchers. Older folk should make better decisions when it is this hot- hell, I even had had enough and left with 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. I've been pretty hot in a package car, but sitting next to 45,000 of your closest friends was absolutely miserable and 3 dollars for a bottle of water made it worse. Thank God the tickets were free.

temps climbed to a scorching 91 degrees this last week. that's HOT for us. But it made me wonder how upsers survive in places like Texas and Arizona where I'd imagine the heat to be unbearable. They must provide some kind of cooling in those buildings... don't they?
I don't know about you but I'd sure like it to be 91 degrees this week.

air_dr

You know 407, resurrecting this thread in January is sort of like singing Christmas carols in July...and that may have been your point exactly.

I sure like the summer much better than the winter overall, but I wouldn't consider 91 degrees the ideal temperature for working without a/c either driving a truck or loading it.
Would much rather deliver in the cold and snow. Can always put on more clothes to be comfortable. In the heat I can only take so much off before the customers would start complaining. Walk around naked and the dog even covers her eyes!
Thats the one advantange of working at the hub, buried in some trailer: You can have far less fabric covering you before someone will probably say something.

lfilizet

I always wondered this...when I was living in Michigan --now I am again wondering while I see these drivers in Arizona. It is nuts. I also wonder now how my drivers in Michigan handle the cold

rod

Retired 22 years
The "high" is suppose to be -10 here the next couple of days. I don't think the subject of anyone being overheated will come up for awhile.

You know 407, resurrecting this thread in January is sort of like singing Christmas carols in July...and that may have been your point exactly.

I sure like the summer much better than the winter overall, but I wouldn't consider 91 degrees the ideal temperature for working without a/c either driving a truck or loading it.Thats the one advantange of working at the hub, buried in some trailer: You can have far less fabric covering you before someone will probably say something.
It was my point