how does on call work at ups

Alexwero

Im guessing I'm on call Yesterday was suppose to be my first day I called and they didn't need me. Am I always gonna have to call to see if I work ?and why do I have to don't they have to call me ??

You should be on a schedule but depending on volume you may not work everyday until you have your 30 days in. Keep track of the days you do work even if it is just for an hour.

Faceplanted

Lol @ on call. U deserve 24hr notice. I was a pt cover driver that drove for 4 years everyday. Got laid off when the recession hit back to the hub and these guys tried to tell me I was on call to drive. I told them notify me the night before or I not coming and than I would file if they used less senior drivers than me. You should get 24 hour notice of your start time. If you work in the hub and have your seniority go to work every day and demand your 3.5hr. Don't fall for their games

HardknocksUPSer

Volumes low this week, a couple of guys at my center have been laid off, call and make sure they don't need you everyday well before start time. Hang in there, come peak season you'll wish you had these days off.

TG43

Lol I'm so confused man .. I just called right now to see if I work and they told I won't be working this whole week

Welcome to UPS. They own you now. That's how it works. Hope you don't have any bills to pay.

But after that one year mark you will receive two weeks paid vacation and all Holidays paid and free heath care and a $.50/hr raise. Unless, like most people, you find a better job before one year.

Not exactly. I mean you get 1 week after a year...but you get your inside rate and inside hours...so you basically get 1/4 of what you would get compared to working a week (driving). Same with holidays.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
This is how the company works. You must call them or they'll just skip over you like a short person in a crowd full of tall individuals.

Exactly. If you do not call in and someone below you does and they need someone that day, he gets to make money and you don't.

You are technically laid off, with the option to call everyday to see if work is available.

You can follow your supplements lay-off language if you want, but you may end up losing a lot of money and insurance.

UPS4Life

Lol @ on call. U deserve 24hr notice. I was a pt cover driver that drove for 4 years everyday. Got laid off when the recession hit back to the hub and these guys tried to tell me I was on call to drive. I told them notify me the night before or I not coming and than I would file if they used less senior drivers than me. You should get 24 hour notice of your start time. If you work in the hub and have your seniority go to work every day and demand your 3.5hr. Don't fall for their games
Must be pretty special we only get a two hour notice.