How does scratch work?

Indecisi0n

I hear it's based on the time you punch in until the time you punch out. Also calculates the mileage you have driven for the day. If this is true does it hurt my "scratch time" if I punch in early? I like to go through my airs and truck because I am on a awlful route which requires you to do this. I'd rather do it before i leave then on the street. I'm getting paid since I punch in but was curious if it effects my scratch. I am just trying to understand it. Thanks guys.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your paid time is calculated from your start time to the time you punch out, less unpaid meal times. No route "requires" you to work off the clock and, no, you are not getting paid simply because you punched in early. Your dispatch time is calculated from a number of elements, to include miles, COD's, stops, packages delivered and picked up, etc. Running "scratch" means you ran the route quicker than the dispatch time.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I hear it's based on the time you punch in until the time you punch out. Also calculates the mileage you have driven for the day. If this is true does it hurt my "scratch time" if I punch in early? I like to go through my airs and truck because I am on a awlful route which requires you to do this. I'd rather do it before i leave then on the street. I'm getting paid since I punch in but was curious if it effects my scratch. I am just trying to understand it. Thanks guys.

You are noy being paid until the start time in the diad, DO NOT EVER WORK OFF THE CLOCK!!

If you get hurt while sorting your truck before the designated start time (the one in the board) you can and possibly will be fired for dishonesty, falsifying company documents or any other number of reasons they can dream up.

Tim Eagle

scratch means delivering the route in the same time as the plan day.not over or under the same.
your center has a "center standards file" that has all the routes time allowances.there are national allowances,such as pkg slection, cod,call tags,ect...
you also have route allowances such as res/bussines.in my day we had ie ride with us an write down every stop,write down the speed-limit.now they do it on their computers.your sporh is leave bldg time to return bldg time.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
How does Scratch work? I just take it one day at a time, and the packages all come off one stop at a time. Eventually my package car gets empty, and then I go home.:wink2:

Seriously, all the above posts are true. The elusive "running scratch" is based on miles run, number of deliveries and pickups made, with a few time allowances built in like CODs, O/70s, and a few other thrown in. This mystical math formula used to reach this number seems to change from day to day now, its nothing that I worry about any more. I have days when I clock out after ten hours and am told the next morning that "I did a good job and made scratch". My worn out body tells me something else though. Its their numbers, not mine.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
My heart goes out to them, and to you guys as well. People often forget, take for granted, how dangerous driving is over all. Wish your onroads and managers understood that more.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
My heart goes out to them, and to you guys as well. People often forget, take for granted, how dangerous driving is over all. Wish your onroads and managers understood that more.

Oops, wrong thread, boy am I distracted. Must be getting old.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I never once knew what scratch was, nor did I care. I worked my butt off and if that wasnt good enough, go suck an egg.**this post is in no way a reflection of my feelings of admiration for our beloved Scratch. :wink2:

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I never once knew what scratch was, nor did I care. I worked my butt off and if that wasnt good enough, go suck an egg.**this post is in no way a reflection of my feelings of admiration for our beloved Scratch. :wink2:

I feel yea honey, all you can offer, dont like it, too bad.

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
My oncar the other day said that I almost scratched a route I ran the previous day (I ran .01) late. Lol Well the next day I sure as Heck didn't almost run scratch. .75 late. He probably should have been happy with scratch..

whiskey

Scratch means donating your time to UPS. This means you can work off the clock before work, after work, or work through your lunch hour. Only then will you be able to run scratch. Any driver who tells you otherwise is a liar. I would say that nealy 100 percent in package would tell you otherwise.
Good luck running scratch.

"scratch" doesnt work...because when you run it they just put on more work. ever since EDD the time allowances are jacked up in our center. we have 2 to sometimes 4 different "loops" in one car, and somehow no time allowance is given now whereas in the past one got better time for doing different areas...its like EDD just incorporates it into your day and doesnt realize or care if you have to go out of your way to deliver stops across town. we had a guy that ran scratch or bonused everyday. the route started with 120 daily to 130 max...now he is at minimum 145 and on some days (like fridays mostly) he does upwards of 170...then when he comes back the boss is like "what took you so long?" or "you were overallowed" or "we need to get closer to SCRATCH" i say bah humbug. i know too i used to work through my lunch to make businesses and pickups...then they started having me do meet points and stops from other guys and their pickups. there really is ZERO incentive for working hard here. especially when the guy next to you gets paid the same amount or more to do less. :(

Indecisi0n

Does your punch out time for leaving the building and entering the building have anything to do with it? Example if my scratch time was 7:00pm and I enter the building at 6:45pm but don't punch out until 7:15pm waiting for other trucks inside the building to park did I make scratch?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Does your punch out time for leaving the building and entering the building have anything to do with it? Example if my scratch time was 7:00pm and I enter the building at 6:45pm but don't punch out until 7:15pm waiting for other trucks inside the building to park did I make scratch?

Nope and if you were to show 30 minutes of PM time in my center my center manager would have a fit.