how does scratching and pay work at bonus centers?

Johney

Here's what I don't get. Like someone said "Bonus" is not negotiated in our contract. Also I've been told by our shop stewards that the Union doesn't recognize "Bonus". So why does UPS continue to pay it? I know back in the day it was an "incentive" to finish early. So my ? is why pay it if they don't have too? Seems to me like they are giving $$ away for free. The same drivers who are making "bonus" are still going to skip their lunch to get in early(not all but most) some live for bonus others don't care they just want to be done early. I know I have seen as time progresses on, the allowances for bonus are slipping away so maybe it soon will come to an end no matter how fast you do a route you will never run scratch or make bonus. I admit I make bonus everyday while it isn't much it adds to about $30 extra a week. Now if they took that away would my time on road or SPORH change? No, I do the job the same everyday,would I miss bonus? Of course it's free $$. Just my 2 cents take it as you will.

JDoe123

ad astra per aspera
OK, I'm more confused than when I started. If you are dispatched at 9 hours and do it in 7 do you get 1 hour guarantee pay and 1 hour bonus or do you just get the guarantee pay?

Upstate,
I don't know if this was answered for you but ANY bonus whether you're under 8 hours or not is paid straight time.  If you're planned day was 9 hours and you did it in 7 you would get 2 hours of straight pay.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Upstate,
I don't know if this was answered for you but ANY bonus whether you're under 8 hours or not is paid straight time. If you're planned day was 9 hours and you did it in 7 you would get 2 hours of straight pay.
Incorrect in my local. If you had a 9 hour dispatch in my center and completed your day in 7 hours, you would be paid 1 hour guarantee at straight time and 1 hour at time and one-half of production bonus.
You would probably get about 20 extra stops the following day also. They frown upon having to pay anyone the 8 hour guarantee.

JDoe123

ad astra per aspera
Incorrect in my local. If you had a 9 hour dispatch in my center and completed your day in 7 hours, you would be paid 1 hour guarantee at straight time and 1 hour at time and one-half of production bonus.
You would probably get about 20 extra stops the following day also. They frown upon having to pay anyone the 8 hour guarantee.

Oh, sorry.  Bonus is paid straight time here.

BrownBlue

New Jack
The ability to bonus all depend on two things. First, how realistic your time study is for that route. Second, how UNSAFE you are willing to work. Rolling stop signs, running all your yellow lights, physically running, poor or lazy DRing, bulkhead open, speeding, fast accelerations, and going in driveways that should be walked all help you be UNSAFE and get bonus. The bonus system is a double edged sword for everyone including the company.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The ability to bonus all depend on two things. First, how realistic your time study is for that route. Second, how UNSAFE you are willing to work. Rolling stop signs, running all your yellow lights, physically running, poor or lazy DRing, bulkhead open, speeding, fast accelerations, and going in driveways that should be walked all help you be UNSAFE and get bonus. The bonus system is a double edged sword for everyone including the company.

I think it is most accurately described as the biggest possible hypocrisy the company could perpetrate.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
As you can see on the previous page I happen to make bonus that perticular check. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's none. I do however take offense to the fact because I was paid bonus I "must" be doing something unsafe. I can assure you I do it by the book, how the route plans isn't of my concern. I'm one of the loudest voices on real safety, not the made up safety committee memorization. I'm not willing to be unsafe for any amount of money, but if UPS wants to add more money to my check, who am I to argue.