How Does the UPS Part-Timer Compensation stack up

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When the UPS part-timers total compensation is considered, how well do they stack up against other part-time employees in the US?
Wages
Healthcare
Vacations
​Pension

JL 0513

I always knew, as a part timer, that I was very well compensated compared to most part time jobs. It's one of the only part time jobs that gives you good health coverage and allows you to add family members at no cost to you.

What other part time job contributes to a pension?

Although the starting pay was low, it grew pretty quickly. And it can get very high over many years.

That said, you BUST your butt for it. Much faster and heavier work than most places.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I always knew, as a part timer, that I was very well compensated compared to most part time jobs. It's one of the only part time jobs that gives you good health coverage and allows you to add family members at no cost to you.

What other part time job contributes to a pension?

Although the starting pay was low, it grew pretty quickly. And it can get very high over many years.

That said, you BUST your butt for it. Much faster and heavier work than most places.

​That is part of being a Teamster!

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
Starting pay at the FedEx Ground hub near me is $15-$15.50/hr but there are no health benefits, no paid vacations, and I don't think they receive holidays/holiday pay. However, I think they average more hours a week.

PT Car Washer

Used to be a great PT job. Way above minimum wage, health care benefits, paid holidays, paid vacation, weekends off. Pension but who thinks about that when you are right out of high school.

JL 0513

And of course the new contract finally raises the starting pay rather significantly. Although it also makes benefit cuts/delays.

PT Car Washer

I have to disagree on "significantly" raising the starting pay. $.50 an hour is not significant. Sure starting pay is going up from $8.50 to $10.00 but also lost the 90 day $1.00 raise.

JL 0513

It's an 18% or so raise (starting pay). I think that qualifies as significant. That's equivalent to top rate drivers getting an almost $6/hr raise overnight.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Since there's no catchup raise for current employees, it's not even really a raise. It's just the new starting wage.
$1.50 increase in starting wage over like 30 years..... brotherhood at it's finest.

In comparison to other part time jobs..... taking benefits into account it stacks up pretty damn well I guess. That says a lot about the state of part-time work in America..... part-time poverty is here to stay, even for union employees apparently.

JL 0513

Since there's no catchup raise for current employees, it's not even really a raise. It's just the new starting wage.
$1.50 increase in starting wage over like 30 years..... brotherhood at it's finest.

In comparison to other part time jobs..... taking benefits into account it stacks up pretty damn well I guess. That says a lot about the state of part-time work in America..... part-time poverty is here to stay, even for union employees apparently.

And part time employment in the US is going to skyrocket at the expense of full time work thanks solely to Obamacare. Since the law made a dividing line of 30 hours a week. Above, companies have to now provide plans or pay fines, below, they don't. Tons of companies have already cut back their workers to 29 or less.

PT Car Washer

But new hires are losing the 90 day $1.00 raise. That means it will be a 5% raise for the first year. For the next 5 years. Minimum wage will be higher. I believe Union workers deserve better than minimum wages.

PT Car Washer

And part time employment in the US is going to skyrocket at the expense of full time work thanks solely to Obamacare. Since the law made a dividing line of 30 hours a week. Above, companies have to now provide plans or pay fines, below, they don't. Tons of companies have already cut back their workers to 29 or less.
Because their health care benefits no longer meet the minimum requirements. Employees can receive better health care benefits at a lower cost through the Affordable Care Act. At least when they get the computer problems solved.

PT Car Washer

What do you propose? A Left Wing Revolution? In the middle of a right wing revolution?

browntroll

this is the reason i love my job, pay is good, benefits are there and my god the payed vacation makes ppl hate me so much.
i had one guy trying to talk down to me cause i only work part time and he thought i didnt get benefits while he was handing out
$100 a month for his. also had more than a few ppl just hate the fact i would take a whole month off at a time since they only get 1 week
non-paid vacation week a year. i also forgot to mention the paid sick days i get every year while regular jobs you have to work a certain
​amount of hours just to earn 1 day.

ups freight

How long do you have to work at ups freight before you get paid sick time and paid vacation ? When will I see my first raise I have been working there 6 months and haven't gotten any raises let

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

Oh Jezzus, here we go....

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I think it is all the fault of those evil full time drivers...lousy bastards.

If only their vote would've counted as two for every part timer...