How does UPS protect its revenue and profits from the following events...

The Driver

I drive.
How does UPS protect its revenue and profits from the following events...

• ...shippers who may re-use tracking numbers on different days?​
  • ...shippers who use the same label on multiple packages?​
  • ...shippers who falsify package weights?​
I'm asking because I've always been curious about this.

So, anyone know if there are systems in place to protect the company from lost revenue from these sorts of things?

The Driver

I drive.
I noticed with the diad update if you scan the same box it asks if it’s a rescan or duplicate label.

I was going to bring that up. Yesterday I had three pieces for Target for one address... same tracking for all three.

I hit the duplicate soft key instead of rescan... Nothing happened. Weird?

Turdferguson

Just a turd
...shippers who falsify package weights?
In the hubs they have dimension weight scanners that all packages go through that give correct weight and dimensions on packages. Also the revenue auditors are supposed to catch those.
With the other two I would hope and assume that they have programs that keep track of those type of things

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants
In the Diad, after you hit duplicate label, it makes a note somewhere in the great ups void that there is a duplicate label. You then have to manually put the dup label into the board.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
I was going to bring that up. Yesterday I had three pieces for Target for one address... same tracking for all three.

I hit the duplicate soft key instead of rescan... Nothing happened. Weird?
I just manually enter it in, just like before, and put “duplicate” in the comments.

Poop Head

Judge me.
They get charged for the duplicate lable. Had a customer who would always get 10 or so nda letters, but only 2 or three different lables. A few days of hitting the dup lable button, and suddenly every piece has its own lable.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
I always jokingly told customers that if identical tracking numbers were used, that meant one of those boxes was for me. Tracking will show you signed for box 1Zxxxxxxxxx. Try filing a claim on 10 packages using the same tracking label.

That kinda scared them straight.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
When I sorted smalls I would fill a cart with packages that said 8 lbs or less, but were over. The clerk would weigh them and write "Attention revenue auditor" on the box. That started hurting pph, though, so it stopped.