How does UPS stay in business when the service they provide is ridiculous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heymikey

My situation:

I was living in London, UK and I had to move back to Canada. While researching online on the best way to do this, I stumbled upon the online shipping form in UPS (Shipping: UPS) to get a quote and eventually book my shipment to my parents' house in Canada. I paid about £300 to have 3 medium-sized boxes shipped to Canada with the labels printed from the online form.

Issue 1:

I have scheduled a collection for the next day at my flat, and spent that entire day waiting for them to show up. No one showed up. Not even a ring at the intercom. I could have spent that day saying goodbye to my friends or doing something more productive. Well thankfully, there is a drop-off point about 10 min walk away, so I had to carry three 20kg box one at a time to the drop-off point. Fair enough.

Issue 2:

After UPS has collected my packages from the drop-off point and after I have arrived in Canada, I looked up the status of the three packages online and was horrified to find out that these 3 packages were being "returned to sender". WTF!!! I no longer live in the UK and therefore, won't be able to receive them. When I called the UK UPS customer service from Canada, their first reason was "missing documentation", which is bull:censored2:. I have attached all the labels that were generated from the online form on all 3 boxes. Then when I asked them again, they said they do not send personal items to Canada from UK. Again, WTF! Why was this not mentioned to me when I was filling out the online shipping form? Why even allow someone to enter a UK sender address and a Canadian receiver address in the first place with no warnings or confirmation? When I asked Customer Service about this, they said they expected me to know this in the first place. How am I supposed to know this? I have asked DHL some other delivery companies and they provide services shipping personal items from the UK to Canada. Why not UPS?

Issue 3:

Since I no longer live in the UK, I've asked UPS to re-route the delivery of my packages to a friend of mine. A few days later, I checked the tracking status and saw that it says that "package was abandoned by both sender and receiver". WTF! I asked my friend about this and he said UPS did not leave him a note or even contacted him about it. Granted, my friend wasn't home at that time and UPS is known for not leaving notes on doors about attempted deliveries. One of the boxes was marked "abandoned" so I had to explain to Customer Service about it "being one of a kind" as they will only allow re-delivery if that was the case. As these were personal items, I had to beg them not to destroy it.

Issue 4:

So from Issue 3, I again asked UPS to change the delivery address to another friend of mine who was unemployed (so, he will have time to wait for the delivery). The delivery was scheduled to be yesterday morning and my friend waited but UPS never came. When he looked online using the tracking IDs I gave him, he saw the status as "receiver refused delivery" at 9:42am UK time. This is again bull:censored2: as my friend was already waiting at this time. What we think has happened is that the UPS driver saw 3 medium-sized boxes (50cm x 40cm x 30cm) weighing about 20kg each and told to himself ":censored2: this, I'm not carrying this!" and decided to just key in "receiver refused delivery" to make his job easier without even attempting to contact the receiver (whose name and mobile number I have given customer service a few days before).

When I googled "lazy UPS drivers", I have read several instances of this -- UPS truck pulls in, waits a few minutes, and without ringing a bell or contacting the receiver, will just drive away with "receiver refused delivery" as the status. Why can't some UPS drivers understand that their actions (or lack thereof) can cause unwanted stress, lost time, and in my case, strained friendships from asking them to do something that they should not be doing in the first place? Why can't some UPS drivers just do their jobs and realise that it can be important in their customers' lives?

Issue 5:

Well, that is not the last of my worries. When I called UK Customer Service again (probably the 5th time I called), they brushed the status off and said that one of my boxes was "damaged", so it will take one business day for UPS to repackage it. Again, WTF! Everything that can go wrong has gone wrong with UPS. I haven't seen that box yet, so I can't comment on what has been damaged. The customer service rep "assured" me that all three boxes will be redelivered on Monday between 2:30 - 5:30pm. I have lost all faith in UPS but for my sanity's sake, I have a glimmer of hope that the UPS driver will actually do his job and deliver those 3 packages to my friend who is kind enough to take time off to help me out.

Despite all these issues, UPS refused to give me a full refund as they claim I should have known that they do not ship personal items to Canada from the UK. I had to move back to Canada because my employer in the UK made a mistake with their work sponsorship license, and I was asked to leave because of their mistake. I came back to Canada unemployed and, as I haven't worked in Canada for the past 5 years, I am not entitled to any welfare payments. My personal belongings being shipped back to Canada should be the least of my worries, but unfortunately, that is not the case. It feels like UPS is one expensive, sadomasochistic prostitute whom I paid £300 to torture me mentally and to :censored2: me over multiple times over.

At the end of the day, I just want my personal belongings delivered to one of my friends. That way, I can use a different delivery company to send my packages. I have looked at * (which I heard uses DHL) and I have been assured that they deliver personal items from the UK to Canada. I still don't understand why UPS cannot do this. And more importantly, I don't understand how UPS can stay in business.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
IMG_1130.GIF

heymikey

Thanks guys for proving my point --- UPS is unprofessional.

But please, if you have a package to deliver, please deliver it and do your job. It might not seem like an important job to you, but we see it as important.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

But please, if you have a package to deliver, please deliver it and do your job. It might not seem like an important job to you, but we see it as important.
Why should UPS employees need to be professional on a NON-UPS site? They come here to get away from people like you. Go to the UPS Facebook page if you want professionalism.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
When you have international shipments, they must be 100% perfect including the invoices and documentation, otherwise they aren't clearing customs and the rest of the red tape. Your shipment was frozen by auditors in Canada and I would wager that you mucked them (the customs/invoices papers) up.

Turdferguson

Just a turd

If you are shipping personal items from one country to another then you have to fill out a declaration stating that these are personal items that you are shipping to yourself from an extended stay abroad.
You seem upset with UPS because you wanted to save money and do things yourself instead of going to a professional and having your items shipped.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If you are shipping personal items from one country to another then you have to fill out a declaration stating that these are personal items that you are shipping to yourself from an extended stay abroad.
You seem upset with UPS because you wanted to save money and do things yourself instead of going to a professional and having you items shipped.
That's most likely, exactly what happened. Didn't want to make assumptions though. I was an ODC auditor for a bit and have seen these.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
I had to move back to Canada because my employer in the UK made a mistake with their work sponsorship license, and I was asked to leave because of their mistake. I came back to Canada unemployed and, as I haven't worked in Canada for the past 5 years, I am not entitled to any welfare payments. My personal belongings being shipped back to Canada should be the least of my worries, but unfortunately, that is not the case. It feels like UPS is one expensive, sadomasochistic prostitute whom I paid £300 to torture me mentally and to :censored2: me over multiple times over..

A good portion of us on this forum are

1) Not from Canada and do not work for UPS in Canada

2) Not from the UK and do not work for UPS in the UK

3) Do not work for UPS in an international capacity.

All of us on this forum

1) Are not your employer and its not our fault yours made a mistake and is sending you back to the land of beavers and maple syrup.

Status
Not open for further replies.