How does UPS stay in business?

laffter

sorry bud but you're not special... especially since your package is shipped ground, that's just another box to ups, don;t care what's in it, don't care how soon it gets there, just as long as it does. that's what ground shipping is. air shipments gets the special attention of a time frame.

Actually, if my understanding is correct, Ground does have some sort of "guaranteed" date. I believe it's in the fine print somewhere?

phox1515

Actually, if my understanding is correct, Ground does have some sort of "guaranteed" date. I believe it's in the fine print somewhere?

Well the time frame for ground is "typically" 3-5 business days according to the website... however according to the tos stuff ups can suspend the terms of agreement at any time at their will and also the guarantee does not apply for the 15 days before xmas... so pretty much ground can take as long as they want... it says they guarantee to have it by the published date BUT ups can reschedule that date.... i know cause it's happened... and even if they didn't... ups can suspend the tos at any time

page 38 of the terms of service :)
UPS may cancel or suspend the UPS Service Guarantee for any service(s), and for any period of time, as determined by UPS in its sole discretion, and without prior notice.

sooo... yeah ground has no guarantee only a typical estimation and the expected delivery date can be changed at any time nor is ups required to abide by it.

nedroc

USPS uses UPS or FedEx to transport their priority packages. USPS looses money on their shipments and they use tax payers dollars to stay in business. No doubt UPS and FedEx make mistakes. However, they do not rip every American of their hard earned money to stay in business. They charge the public for what it costs to handle their shipments and make some profit to sustain their business. This might not satisfy you and convince you to ship with UPS and or FedEx but hopefully you understand the difference.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

USPS uses UPS or FedEx to transport their priority packages. USPS looses money on their shipments and they use tax payers dollars to stay in business. No doubt UPS and FedEx make mistakes. However, they do not rip every American of their hard earned money to stay in business. They charge the public for what it costs to handle their shipments and make some profit to sustain their business. This might not satisfy you and convince you to ship with UPS and or FedEx but hopefully you understand the difference.

The factual errors in this post are too numerous to list.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would like you to list the factual errors.

We can start with "they use tax payer dollars to stay in business" and finish with "USPS loses money on their shipments". Neither of these two statements are true. The USPS is in the hole because they have been forced to prepay 75 years worth of pension benefits----there isn't a corporation in existence today, other than Apple, that could survive that kind of hit to their bottom line

phox1515

you know UPS uses usps as well... it's called sure post.... usually what you get when you choose free shipping from companies you order stuff from. ups will get it to the city that it's going to but then they can choose to deliver it or give it to local post office to finish.

upsman68

We can start with "they use tax payer dollars to stay in business" and finish with "USPS loses money on their shipments". Neither of these two statements are true. The USPS is in the hole because they have been forced to prepay 75 years worth of pension benefits----there isn't a corporation in existence today, other than Apple, that could survive that kind of hit to their bottom line

Can you state your sources?