How does your garden grow?

bigbrownhen

Thought it might be fun to see if any others have gardens, veggies or flowers, and share tips.

102_0044.jpgFirst garden I have planted in years. It was more weeds than veggies last time.
102_0042.jpgAh, look at the little baby green beans. Planted the seeds 1 week before pic was taken.
102_0042.jpg
102_0044.jpg

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My Wife has tried to grow seasoning plants like cilantro, basil, rosemary and such. No green thumb here. I think we're just green dumb.:surprised::wink2:

bigbrownhen

Ha, funny. Im a 4th generation farmer and the green thumb ran out by the time it got to us I guess. My grandma was here supervising the planting. I really learned alot about plant placement and little tricks to keep worms off the tomato plants. She is a wealth of knowledge.

bigbrownhen

Place a couple small sticks or twigs up against the stem to keep the worm from wrapping around it. Some kind of worm(can't remember what she called it) that curls around the tomato plants. Grandma said toothpics would work too. Just stick in the ground next to the stem.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
We usually have a garden going by this time of year but we moved last year and the new yard doesn't have a good location for a garden. :dissapointed:

I'm going to plant a few things in pots and see how that works...

M

MaryE

Rose garden. Can't eat them:happy-very: but they are so beautiful to watch grow and admire.
DSCF7666 (Medium).JPG
DSCF7666 (Medium).JPG

bigbrownhen

I love roses. Nice pic, beautiful color! I have a few rose bushes too. I'll post a pic tonight if I get the chance, it is full of buds ready to bloom anyday.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We just do a few plants in containers on our rear deck. I have two tomatoes, a green pepper, oregano, sage, and some cilantro growing.

bigbrownhen

I don't grow any herbs, but I have alot of flowers. Mostly impatiens and petunas, but they are still kinda small, so I'll post pics of them later. So far these are the prettiest ones I have, one rose and some pansys that I got real cheap because they were a little frost bit. After a little TLC, they are doing great.

102_0048.jpg102_0056.jpg
102_0048.jpg
102_0056.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
Here in CA., our yards are postage stamp sized, but I have 3 tomato plants all shoulder high with green tomatoes. ...3 cuke plants and we've had the first cuke in our salad the last couple nights.

We like our 3 roses....special ones that I picked out....we tore out 60 white rose bushes, the kind that bloom and fall off. I don't like those.

I love the mandevillas and they grow like crazy here....also bouganvillia (sp) very colorful. Kalanchoes too....which you can pinch off and make more.

Even though our yards are small, we can still fill a huge green can each week with the trimmings. I love it that we have palm trees here.

bigbrownhen

102_0187.jpg102_0185.jpgI have the best luck with Petunas and Impatiens. I have some pansys left, but they are lookin rough due to the heat.

Moreluck, if you have any tips on how to prune roses I would like to know how to make them bloom all summer.
102_0185.jpg
102_0187.jpg