How Flexible Is UPS With Hours?

ufos8mycow

I'm thinking about applying for a 4:30am-9:30am shift as a package handler. I now work for a local trade union and plan to continue. My question is just how the shifts work. Are you required to work until you're released? Can you just work 3.5 hours per day occasionally?

If I have a call from my union at 9am would it cause a problem if I left after 3.5 hours? Would it ever be possible to leave at 7:30am sometimes and only work 3 hours? For every 8am call I turn down I lose $210 minimum.

Secondly I have a job in May of every year that calls for 5 days of 7am-11pm work. How big of a problem would it be for me to take those days off each year? It's a $2700 paycheck and I can't miss it.

I appreciate any advice you guys can give me.

km3

This depends entirely on your local management. People with second jobs here generally don't have a problem getting off early, but there are no guarantees for them. If the day comes when they're told to stay, and they leave, they will be fired.

You'll probably have to work that week in May... I don't see any way around it until you have vacation time.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm thinking about applying for a 4:30am-9:30am shift as a package handler. I now work for a local trade union and plan to continue. My question is just how the shifts work. Are you required to work until you're released? Can you just work 3.5 hours per day occasionally?

If I have a call from my union at 9am would it cause a problem if I left after 3.5 hours? Would it ever be possible to leave at 7:30am sometimes and only work 3 hours? For every 8am call I turn down I lose $210 minimum.

Secondly I have a job in May of every year that calls for 5 days of 7am-11pm work. How big of a problem would it be for me to take those days off each year? It's a $2700 paycheck and I can't miss it.

UPS is the reason the world exists.
You will not find flexibility at UPS.

ufos8mycow

I appreciate the answers. Can't see how this would work for me. I get the calls for work a week in advance so i know which days I'd be working and it seems like the 9am shifts wouldn't be available either. If I'm late for a call I get fined $50 and if I get replaced for not coming in I get a $100 fine.

Even the 10:30pm shift would mess up my calls cause I usually have to go in around 9-10pm to do load outs.

Thanks again guys.

P.S. Do the package handlers usually get the full 20 hours per week?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I appreciate the answers. Can't see how this would work for me. I get the calls for work a week in advance so i know which days I'd be working and it seems like the 9am shifts wouldn't be available either. If I'm late for a call I get fined $50 and if I get replaced for not coming in I get a $100 fine.

Even the 10:30pm shift would mess up my calls cause I usually have to go in around 9-10pm to do load outs.

Thanks again guys.

P.S. Do the package handlers usually get the full 20 hours per week?
Not when first hired or when volume is low but it does depend on location.

Future

Victory Ride

Very flexible....like today I am running behind ...so I probably won't get there...till 10:31

haller

It's not 4 or 5 hours during the holidays and winter months. Be prepared to start from 1 or 2 am till whenever it finishes.

clean hairy

If UPS is going to interfere with your other job schedule, then don't even bother applying.
Imagine the complete chaos if folks are coming in late and leaving early because they "have other things to do" and are unable to work the hours to get the work done.

ManInBrown

UPS is about as flexible as a tire iron. By far the least flexible job I've had. Anytime I ever have something to do on a particular day, I just call out sick. Doesn't happen often.