How late is too late?

Flaco50

To deliver to a house in the rural areas? Gonna leave bldg. around2 pm. I'm in a state with a strong gun culture, I've had customers answer the door with a pistol or aggro dogs in the daytime. So at what point is it time to call it a night to avoid dangerous situations and start to dex 01 everything. Just wondering what everyone else does.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I once delivered an out of area/out of center mislead at 10:30pm on Christmas Eve. everybody in Texas has guns. It was a rural house way out in the sticks. No way was I going to go up to that house and knock on the door. Was instructed by mgmt. to make an attempt on all Christmas packages. I put my package car under a light and laid on the horn till somebody came out. I probably wouldn't have been out that late but was working as instructed.

STFXG

Honk the horn as you pull up. Then they'll know you aren't sneaking up on their property. And announce your presence when you knock. You aren't delivering to murderers (most likely). Why are you so afraid of a hillbilly with a gun?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Honk the horn as you pull up. Then they'll know you aren't sneaking up on their property. And announce your presence when you knock. You aren't delivering to murderers (most likely). Why are you so afraid of a hillbilly with a gun?

Uhh, probably because the hillbilly has a gun and isn't skeered to use it. Lol.

rod

Retired 22 years

What about if you are driving a rental. The first thing people do if they see a rental is let the dogs out.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
There are different rules here in Texas than most other states. If someone is on your property at night, you can legally shoot them to protect your property. There was a case a couple of years ago, and I'll leave a link at the bottom, where person from Scotland was in Houston for the OTC. He got drunk, got lost and banged on a guys door in the wee hours. Homeowner shot him through the door and killed him. Homeowner was cleared of all charges. Doesn't seem right, but the guy knocking was still as dead as a mackerel. I be honkin on late deliveries.
http://www.nytimes.com/1994/01/08/us/homeowner-shoots-tourist-by-mistake-in-texas-police-say.html

vantexan

I'm routinely out past 2200 on my domiciled route. Was out to 0025 Christmas Eve. I truly hate knocking on doors that late for a sig req pkg. Especially when homeowner is yelling through the door with an angry voice.

fedex_rtd

Just DEX that stuff as an "unsafe location" anytime you see a firearm and your not on a government facility, or the person is not wearing a badge.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
To deliver to a house in the rural areas? Gonna leave bldg. around2 pm. I'm in a state with a strong gun culture, I've had customers answer the door with a pistol or aggro dogs in the daytime. So at what point is it time to call it a night to avoid dangerous situations and start to dex 01 everything. Just wondering what everyone else does.

Running late is norm for UPS. There are some routes here that have been out till 1am. I personally think no matter who you work for, unless you're a cop, there is no reason anyone should be knocking on a door past 9pm.

Goldilocks

There are different rules here in Texas than most other states. If someone is on your property at night, you can legally shoot them to protect your property. There was a case a couple of years ago, and I'll leave a link at the bottom, where person from Scotland was in Houston for the OTC. He got drunk, got lost and banged on a guys door in the wee hours. Homeowner shot him through the door and killed him. Homeowner was cleared of all charges. Doesn't seem right, but the guy knocking was still as dead as a mackerel. I be honkin on late deliveries.
http://www.nytimes.com/1994/01/08/us/homeowner-shoots-tourist-by-mistake-in-texas-police-say.html

I love Texas Boys