How long did it take you to become a driver.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
4-6 weeks my doc said.
Maybe if your lucky, all depends on the person really. Your pt person will know when its time. Don't be surprised to see it be longer, youll know when your knee is 100 percent and you feel comfortably mentally and physically with it. I didn't feel close to 100 percent til after 12 weeks and still could have used a couple more weeks just to be safe.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Maybe if your lucky, all depends on the person really. Your pt person will know when its time. Don't be surprised to see it be longer, youll know when your knee is 100 percent and you feel comfortably mentally and physically with it. I didn't feel close to 100 percent til after 12 weeks and still could have used a couple more weeks just to be safe.
Whatever you do don't go back to work early if its not ready, if its not ready and stable you could blow out the acl or mcl and if you favor it with a little limp, and it will make the rest of your body hurt because your compensating for the lack of strength in the knee. If it were me and I had the idea I wanted to be back by thanksgiving, I would have gone out mid august or 1st week of September at latest just to be on the safe side. That would bring it out to 12 weeks which is normally a pretty safe bet with meniscus surgery.

Re-Raise

I'll be driving in September so it took me 3 months. I started here at 22 years old.

BBAG ???

So if I am to read this correctly, you are not a driver yet and you are still 22?

Good luck there skippy. Why did you respond to this question if you aren't even full-time yet?

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
You really need to only take the meds for like maybe first 3 days or so and then your good with like advil or Tylenol. Just hurts a lot when that pain blocker wears off on the 2nd day. Was no fun hardest part for me was like while I was trying to sleep and roll over it would hurt like hell.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You really need to only take the meds for like maybe first 3 days or so and then your good with like advil or Tylenol. Just hurts a lot when that pain blocker wears off on the 2nd day. Was no fun hardest part for me was like while I was trying to sleep and roll over it would hurt like hell.
As long as I can walk up and down stairs with minimal pain...I can get my :censored2: back to work for peak time.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Appreciate the kind thoughts but my avatar is a tribute to our late great Golden Retriever "Joeboo." She was a sweet old thing that would see me off in the morning and be there on the porch when I got home.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Aren't we a strange breed. We hate peak but wouldn't miss it. Did the same thing with my first knee. Timed it so I would be back for peak.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Aren't we a strange breed. We hate peak but wouldn't miss it. Did the same thing with my first knee. Timed it so I would be back for peak.
The longer I'm out...the harder it is to get back into it without soreness and pain. But honestly....as a PTer, I won't miss peak because it's a ton of extra money...45 hours a week at least...plus a sort on Saturday. If it wasn't for that....I'd gladly sit home the whole holiday season...lol.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
As long as I can walk up and down stairs with minimal pain...I can get my :censored2: back to work for peak time.
Like I said just be careful with it and listen to what your body tells you. No need to play macho man with this hardazz job that's for sure, its all about finishing the race somehow some way lol.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Started driving after 2.5 years. Would have been much, much sooner if I had been 21. Was qualified to drive before I was 21 and was actually on the street driving 2 weeks after my birthday. That was 18 years ago.

Took me 7.5 years to become FT. I could have gone FT a lot sooner as well but I was already top rate and didn't want to bid lesser wage FT jobs just to get FT. Big mistake on my part since most of the others that bid FT air bids or combos were back to FT driving bids within months. I'd probably have another 3+ years FT if I had done that. And also quite a few spots higher in the seniority list.