how long did it take you to drive?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Tom Jefferson, May 18, 2019.

1. Tom Jefferson

Tom Jefferson Member

just curious? I know that trolling on this post is probably the inevitable, but I ask if you can keep it to a minimum lol.

2. unloady

unloady Active Member

Driver wait time in my building is about 5 years, give or take.

3. Tom Jefferson

Tom Jefferson Member

that's insane? the hub I am going to are letting people drive within the first year... one guy drove in 10 weeks. 5 years wow

4. JustDeliverIt

JustDeliverIt Active Member

You can drive pretty much immediately if you want. The key is full time. Took me 10.5 years to go FT in my hub.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. unloady

unloady Active Member

Every building is different. Not really sure how big mine is compared to other areas. We have 10 Unload doors and 4 box lines if that gives you an idea. Rumor is that a bunch of the older drivers are retiring or jumping over into feeders so maybe the wait time will drop. Who knows lol.

6. Tom Jefferson

Tom Jefferson Member

see, that's something I never knew about. I assumed it was FT off the bat

7. JustDeliverIt

JustDeliverIt Active Member

Yeah, you can work 59.99 hours a week as a driver and are PT cover until they get to you on the seniority list in your building. And each building is different, some might not take long (3-5 years) and I've been told some waited 14-15. Some are hiring FT off the street, just depends.

8. Maple Grove MN Driver

Maple Grove MN Driver Cocaine Mang!

16 years I waited to drive.

9. FeederHippo

FeederHippo New Member

Like others have said, it depends on the center. The past five years at my center it has taken under a year inside to become a driver. Currently though it seems they are taking anyone that puts their name on the list regardless of how long they've been working. We also have a feeder hub with 200+ drivers, so that helps speed the process along.

10. UrFellowUpser

UrFellowUpser Active Member

Took me under a year to go full-time like 8 months

11. Tom Jefferson

Tom Jefferson Member

yeah, I've heard quite a bit of this. people are saying this is the time to become a driver. I'm not really sure what has changed but I guess I'll find out.

12. Yeet

Yeet Inbound, turnaround, go to town

Took 10 years. Not from a lack of opportunity but a lack of motivation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. namechanged

namechanged New Member

My friend had worked at my hub 7 years before he made FT driver...I had to wait 1.5 years. All depends when guys retire, move to feeders, etc.

14. Johney

Johney Well-Known Member

Hired full-time off the street in 88, no wait.

15. WTFm8

WTFm8 Active Member

Day 1 I was at driver school.

Said it was mandatory 30 inside after school till I could drive... found out this is because the company does a bait/switch to classify you as PT.

FIRST YEAR I had over 2,200hrs. I’m at 900 already this year... but ‘part time’ ‘temporary cover driver’.

16. Kanovic

Kanovic My job is fun

First time full time was offered to me was 7-8yrs but I turned it down. Finally took it a few years ago. Wish I would have said yea earlier but it wasn’t something I wanted to do. Still not sure I made the right decision.

17. MECH-lift

MECH-lift Union Brother

5 years to drive , 10 years till full-time

18. Maple Grove MN Driver

You don't even work at UPS.

19. Maple Grove MN Driver

Oh you are talking about at UPS.
    I was a FT driver from day 1.
    Training consisted of 2 days with a Management Clown and then I was left alone

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  20. BUCN85

BUCN85 Active Member

7 years for me. Now seasonal loaders who ended up permanent are now in their 30 days qualifying. Management love these types cause they don’t know the politics yet and think management is their friend.