How long did it take you to get your route

Just trying to make a decision as to if I want to start as a seasonal driver and work my way up the seniority ladder toward obtaining a route, if you don't mind giving me some ideas of how long it took you to get your route and the area you are in so I can get some ideas.

542thruNthru

Just trying to make a decision as to if I want to start as a seasonal driver and work my way up the seniority ladder toward obtaining a route, if you don't mind giving me some ideas of how long it took you to get your route and the area you are in so I can get some ideas.

Its different everywhere but if you don't work for UPS now and are only beginning now as a seasonal driver. You might want to just worry about working hard so that you actually get hired after.

Its different everywhere but if you don't work for UPS now and are only beginning now as a seasonal driver. You might want to just worry about working hard so that you actually get hired after.

Is there a chance of going from a seasonal driver to a full time driver? Or should I expect to go from a seasonal driver to unemployed/ 4 hour shifts handling boxes?

542thruNthru

Is there a chance of going from a seasonal driver to a full time driver? Or should I expect to go from a seasonal driver to unemployed/ 4 hour shifts handling boxes?

Again this depends where you are. Here odds are you'd be unemployed right after.

Like I said come in everyday and work your butt off. Don't complain and don't have a accident/injury. That's all you can do.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
It’s possible. It depends on the needs of the location you are working. I’ve seen seasonal help come right on board, wait three months, go inside for three years, etc, etc. You gotta be in the right place at the right time sometimes.

It’s possible. It depends on the needs of the location you are working. I’ve seen seasonal help come right on board, wait three months, go inside for three years, etc, etc. You gotta be in the right place at the right time sometimes.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, another question I have is this ...let me make an example, so I get the seasonal driver job, i do very well , but the timing just isn't right and they aren't hiring at the moment. If i go back to my old job can they still reach out later or is it that you have to still stayed employed by ups to be considered?

542thruNthru

Thanks for all the feedback guys, another question I have is this ...let me make an example, so I get the seasonal driver job, i do very well , but the timing just isn't right. If i go back to my old job can they still reach out later or is it that you have to still stayed employed by ups to be considered?

They can reach back out to you. Though that can be dangerous. Because they like to string people along. Tell you how good you are and how you'll be next in line as a driver. Then only use you during seasonal times. Next thing you know you've passed up other opportunities for a lie.

It's not always like that but it does happen.

oldngray

nowhere special
They can reach back out to you. Though that can be dangerous. Because they like to string people along. Tell you how good you are and how you'll be next in line as a driver. Then only use you during seasonal times. Next thing you know you've passed up other opportunities for a lie.

It's not always like that but it does happen.

First rule.

HR lies.

542thruNthru

First rule.

HR lies.

That's a fact. I'll never forget the year they told every driver helper they were permanent hires so that they wouldn't leave while they waited a month for their first week of work. That they only got 8 hours during. A lot of helpers quit in the middle of December that year.

Siveriano

on our building it took me 18 months to be the next in line for a route. altho i didnt like the route that was open so i skipped it. I know peiple says a route is a route but being the top cover driver i have more chances to pick what i want to do than being lock on a route im going to be misserable.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
5 years.

After a while, you do the same routes quite often, so you get to know the route and it ain't too bad. Most of peak, chances are you will do the same split every day.

ManInBrown

Us telling you how long it took means nothing. Everywhere is different.

Just like the question of how long PT to FT. I still see drivers on here saying it takes years in their building. Here it takes weeks. We can’t hire em fast enough. In the 177 we have casuals. In my center they are making casuals permanent as soon as they get thru their 30 days. Never seen anything like it. It’s completely unprecedented. UPS has these casuals with no promises thru Dec 31st and they don’t even wait. Make book, permanent the next week.

DRporch

i worked preload for a week. but my building needed driver terribly. i was a seasonal driver. you need to run your ass off and be their bitch so they see how good you are and want to keep you thats really your only hope.

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
7yrs

Richard Cranium

10 years for a ghetto route. Still interested?