How long til insurance kicks in?

jesus_saves

Hello. I had a quick question about when does the health/dental benefits start. I have been getting a lot of mix answers. Some people say 1 year while others say 90 days. Thanks in advance

browniehound

It depends on your local supplement, which varies from region to region. However, generally its based om how many hours you worked. When I started part time in 1999 we were required to work 400 hours to recieve our health and wealthfare benefits. At that time the economy was humming along and I was allowed to double and triple shift and reached the 400 hours in well under 6 months. Today, you're lucky to get 5 hours a day at UPS. Still, if your goal is benefits from the job I would stick with it because you can't get these benefits anywhere else.

Man, how have times changed! In 1999 they were literally begging me to double and triple shift. As a part-timer I could work as many as 12-14 hours/day over 3 sorts if I wanted to. The shifts always lasted more than 4 hours and closer to 5. Now, they are lucky to get 4 hours and double shifting is almost non-existent. I really miss those days!

I hope this helps...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Here in Atlanta, its one year for the employee, then another six months for family members if you are part time.