How long to get a grievance heard?

UPSER110

I have filed 4 grievances for supervisors working over the past 3 months, how long should I expect to get these heard? I know negotiations are going on but my business agent works for ME and ALL my other dues paying brothers and sisters! We still need to enforce our current contract!

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I have filed 4 grievances for supervisors working over the past 3 months, how long should I expect to get these heard? I know negotiations are going on but my business agent works for ME and ALL my other dues paying brothers and sisters! We still need to enforce our current contract!

Actually getting paid for a supervisors working grievance can take longer than six months.. depending on the sort manager, the Business Agent or Shop Steward can get it settled on the spot or it will likely be dragged out to a local level.

During a Local Level (meeting between the Labor Manager and Business Agent), terminations/discharges are always heard first. If there have been a high number of terminations in your local, this obviously eats up the vast majority of the time that could be used discussing your grievance. Additionally, a lot of local levels have been postponed/shortened because many UPS Business Agents have been at contract negotiations.

There's a chance your grievance may have been deadlocked if it could set a precedent. Most of the time, however, there's an incentive for Labor Managers to settle non-precedent setting/relatively minor supervisors working grievances at the local level (usually for less than the amount asked) because they don't want to look like a jackass at panel and watch the grievant get every penny they requested.

Keep filing and let them stack up. When you get paid, it'll be a fat check. That's what I usually do.