How many call offs before action taken?

A.Spooner

I just wanted to see if someone could send me a pic or show me in the contract where it states how many times you can call off before being written up. Been a driver for over five years and never had any issues. Recently was threatened for calling off, I just dust it off because I know how management is. It’s around the third in around 8 months. I’ve looked on the UPS Rising app but can’t find it. I don’t have a contract book. I’ve been told it’s 6 call offs in a rolling 9 month timeframe. I’ve had way less than that but I’d like to know if anyone here is from the central region that can assist me. Steward “isn’t sure”.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In my experience it's never a set number, they don't really care about call outs as long as they have plenty of coverage. It's when they have to scramble to get all the routes covered that call outs become a big deal. Probably the last time you called out it put'em in a bind coverage wise and that's why they barked at you.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I just wanted to see if someone could send me a pic or show me in the contract where it states how many times you can call off before being written up. Been a driver for over five years and never had any issues. Recently was threatened for calling off, I just dust it off because I know how management is. It’s around the third in around 8 months. I’ve looked on the UPS Rising app but can’t find it. I don’t have a contract book. I’ve been told it’s 6 call offs in a rolling 9 month timeframe. I’ve had way less than that but I’d like to know if anyone here is from the central region that can assist me. Steward “isn’t sure”.

how come you can’t make it to work when you’re scheduled

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I’ve heard after 9 unexcused although I’ve never looked for the language.

A.Spooner

how come you can’t make it to work when you’re scheduled
You do realize there are other events in people’s lives that merit not being at work for a day while not needing fmla. You can chose to think otherwise. If you don’t want to answer the question or have any knowledge, move along. It hasn’t been an ongoing issue nor have I ever missed more than 4 days in a calendar year.

You do realize there are other events in people’s lives that merit not being at work for a day while not needing fmla. You can chose to think otherwise. If you don’t want to answer the question or have any knowledge, move along. It hasn’t been an ongoing issue nor have I ever missed more than 4 days in a calendar year.
Then you have nothing to worry about

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

then why were you threatened for calling off

ManInBrown

There is no set number. It’s either they like you, or they don’t. I was late for work twice in my entire career in package. One of the two times, I got caught in an accident on a major highway near the building. Finally got to work and walked in with four or five other drivers caught in the same accident. center manager standing right at the top of the belt, we all walk by and he says nothing to anyone except me. “Can’t show up to work on time, huh?” Next day I’m in the office and put on notice of suspension for being late. They caught a nice harassment grievance for that one. Attendance is handled on a case by case basis and favoritism for the driver plays a huge role. Kiss ass runner gunners who show up every day with a jar of Vaseline, or drivers that bend over and happily work till 9pm every night and don’t make waves, you can miss many days of work. Make waves and file grievances, better not miss too many days.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Unwritten understanding is essentially 3 instances within 90 days. An incident would be defined as any number of consecutive days, which only require one call to notify that you’re out and one call to notify that you’ll be returning.

The 9 months you speak of generally refers to a probationary period that generally is the result of a deal “agreement”, that your BA has made on your behalf at panel.

JustDeliverIt

If you've been here 5+ years, you have sick days to use. If you are calling off 4 times a year you have that many sick days. The only time it's an issue is if you use up your days and continue to call in. Better have a damn good reason or FMLA paperwork.

As long as you have days, you call in and inform them you are using a day. They may not like it, but it's that simple.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
If you've been here 5+ years, you have sick days to use. If you are calling off 4 times a year you have that many sick days. The only time it's an issue is if you use up your days and continue to call in. Better have a damn good reason or FMLA paperwork.

As long as you have days, you call in and inform them you are using a day. They may not like it, but it's that simple.
No sick days in Central, we get 2 “option” days and an “option week.”

JustDeliverIt

No sick days in Central, we get 2 “option” days and an “option week.”
It really does amaze me how different things are across the same country for the company. I'm in Upstate NY, we get 5 sick and 4 option days a year. Things like time off I figured would be more standard, proven wrong again by supplemental language. Thanks for the correction. Do they allow the option days as call in sick days or do they have to be pre-approved with management?

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
It really does amaze me how different things are across the same country for the company. I'm in Upstate NY, we get 5 sick and 4 option days a year. Things like time off I figured would be more standard, proven wrong again by supplemental language. Thanks for the correction. Do they allow the option days as call in sick days or do they have to be pre-approved with management?
Needs to be agreed upon by UPS. For example, can’t just randomly call in on a Monday and say “hey I want to use an option day” we have request forms similar to 8-hour requests.