How many calories does a preloader burn?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In my building I don't see them burning too much. More than when they're not working, I suppose. Now the preload sups on the other hand...

redshift1

How many calories do you think the average male preloader burns in a 3.5-4 hour shift?

Depends on weight the heavier the pre-loader the more calories burned per hour. A 200 lb. pre-loader would burn from 1500 to 2000 calories in 4 hrs. A 100 lb. pre-loader would burn from 1000 to 1500 calories in 4 hrs. Car size and average package weight would also influence calories burned.

helenofcalifornia

We have this campaign in the Norcal district to promote heart health for the months of Feb.-Mar. Some of us have been wearing pedometers and find that we have been walking 15000-20000 steps a day. Based on a 30 inch stride, it averages out to 9.2 miles a day!! And that is not taking in the fact of carrying packages as well.

redshift1

Redshift I think thats a little on the high side of things....id say 1000 max

Walking 4 mph at 200 lb. for one hour is about 360 calories according to
most calorie counters. I think pre-load might be a little harder with the lifting involved but there are some periods of standing around waiting for irregs or flow.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
According to "Hitchhiker's Guide " the answer would be 42.
They are still doing research on what the question is ?

Fnix

I ask this because there is a guy in my building and hes a serious body builder and personal trainer. He says he burns about 700 calories per shift which seems a little low but I wouldnt doubt his words.

redshift1

I ask this because there is a guy in my building and hes a serious body builder and personal trainer. He says he burns about 700 calories per shift which seems a little low but I wouldnt doubt his words.

That would be true if he weighed 50 lbs.

drewed

Shankman
That would be true if he weighed 50 lbs.

Theres a lot of it your not seeing, if hes actually a body builder he probably doesnt exert himself as much the average person as well...and your still using your numbers and maybe a little inflated so your saying a 200lbs person now burns 2800 calories?

redshift1

Theres a lot of it your not seeing, if hes actually a body builder he probably doesnt exert himself as much the average person as well...and your still using your numbers and maybe a little inflated so your saying a 200lbs person now burns 2800 calories?

If he's only burning 700 calories in 4 hrs he needs a couple of extra trucks:whiteflag:

Buffaloaf

walking 3 miles in 60 mins burns over 300 calories

i wish i could burn 2800

cant be correct

Well, walking 3 miles in 30 minutes also burns roughly 300 calories. Burning calories is all about distance covered, not how fast you do it. How fast you do it determines how much of an aerobic workout you get (helps build cardiovascular, stamina/endurance, and muscle mass). Someone said something about going 9.5 miles while walking at work...they are probably burning 950 calories -- depending on their BMI. In shape people will burn less calories and fatter people will burn a little more (although the discrepancy is less than one would think). So when you take into consideration moving the boxes and loading too, I'd say 1100-1400 would be about right if you are walking 9-10 miles while working. Remember, lifting isn't necessarily a weight burning exercise -- it's more of a muscle building one. Just my 2 cents on it. . .

UnloaderAM

I would think around 1000 but there are many variables also I think the unloaders burn way more.

I would have to agree with you. Besides we touch more packages than the loaders do anyway. I average about 1200 an hour and I'm not the only one. Believe it or not I actually put on weight after I started. I used to weigh 195 lbs and now weigh 216 lbs.

EDIT: And it ain't fat. Thats muscle. So don't say I need more work to do. I got enough as it is. lol!!