How many can be off

Rack em

Made the Podium
They don't "allow" a certain number of people who can call in sick, people call in sick when they want to. Up to 10% can schedule personal days, and it depends on how many preloaders there are that determines how many can be off on vacation per week.

PT Car Washer

So if their are 3 people who do the job I do, and 2 of us side by side in rank want the day off can they not approve it because of the job I do.
Do you mean 3 people on the entire preload or just in your area? If your management team would properly staff the preload there should not be a problem except in extreme cases. Anyway it is not your problem.

UPS MAN Dallas TX

So if their are 3 people who do the job I do, and 2 of us side by side in rank want the day off can they not approve it because of the job I do.
Do you mean 3 people on the entire preload or just in your area? If your management team would properly staff the preload there should not be a problem except in extreme cases. Anyway it is not your problem.

I mean my area. We only have 3 people trained to do the job and 2 of us want the same day off. I just wanted to make sure they could not say no to me because of the job I do

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Preload planning:

15226308003202730.gif

Last edited:

PT Car Washer

The rules are if you really need a day of you call in sick. If you just want the day off you put in for an optional day.
After a few years of always being turned down for any optional day request, I just call in. My attendance record is such that I would not be questioned. Save the optional days for an extra payday in May.

Rack em

Made the Podium
After a few years of always being turned down for any optional day request, I just call in. My attendance record is such that I would not be questioned. Save the optional days for an extra payday in May.
Yup, I never let know when I need a day off. I just call in sick so they can't question me later about why I called in sick on the day my optional day was denied.

PT Car Washer

Yup, I never let know when I need a day off. I just call in sick so they can't question me later about why I called in sick on the day my optional day was denied.
How many times have you been approved for a day off and at the last minute been denied? And if you call in your are threatened with disciplinary action? Best just to call in or if you really want to play dirty, no call no show. Warning letter and where do I sign.

Drink Craft Beer

When biding vacations how do you find out how many people can take the week off?
It wasn't until like 3yrs ago that my pre-load (not that big of a hub) was told that after peak through April (maybe) that only one employee at a time can be off for vacation. May up to Thanksgiving there could be 2 off.

Don't know for sure though. It never use to be like that.

dudebro

My question is how does Ups determine how many people can be off a week for the preload personal and sick? Is that up to full time supervisor or what?

The real answer is NOBODY has to show up to work. There might be consequences of varying degrees for some, but basically, no one HAS to be there.

As a management person, the smartest option is to work with your employees accordingly.