How many make it to retirement?

Shiftless

Has there ever been statistics on what percentage of UPS/Teamster employees actually make it to a full retirement?

Whats your best guess? 20% 40% 60% Or Everyone gets a trophy!

UPeopleSuck

32E5F9A7-CF86-43DA-93C2-4D2EB8F7E4EA.jpeg

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
In my old small center, most pt'ers who stayed pt moved on to greener pastures. If you include them in the total equation, maybe 40%. Of the FT positions, including pt'ers who moved up to FT, most all of them retired. Probably 95%.

rod

Retired 22 years
came from a small center;

Probably 95% of drivers that I have known over the last 47 years have retired or will retire. Of the part timers who didn't go on to drive I would guess maybe 10% at most.

Shiftless

I think my experience was very different. Started in a building with 4 centers. I was not there during the 1974 strike. Spent the last 21 years in an outlying center. Ya know the type. You have your own key to the building.
No fences, had a payroll clerk, cash cage, no mule or shifter, you could drive your personal car up to the pkg car and move your stuff to the pkg car then go park, wives would walk in on Fridays and pick up the paychecks for some, clerks would ship your pkg and give you a bill the next day to pay. drivers who car pooled would throw footballs around and over pkg cars to pass the time waiting for their ride share partners.

I saw so many come and go at the beginning as a full time driver, then so many burn out half way there and/or just quit or get fired. Even tho I saw drivers retire, the amount of drivers that came and went makes my personal observations probably at more 50% stayed and survived or less.

What I also saw in the mid 70's with all the expansion and all states going online, many tried management and washed out pretty quickly or just quit.

BUT! Everyone's experience is different. Heck today's pkg world is so much different for drivers with all the commit times and services! Glad I am DONE!

badpal

I think my experience was very different. Started in a building with 4 centers. I was not there during the 1974 strike. Spent the last 21 years in an outlying center. Ya know the type. You have your own key to the building.
No fences, had a payroll clerk, cash cage, no mule or shifter, you could drive your personal car up to the pkg car and move your stuff to the pkg car then go park, wives would walk in on Fridays and pick up the paychecks for some, clerks would ship your pkg and give you a bill the next day to pay. drivers who car pooled would throw footballs around and over pkg cars to pass the time waiting for their ride share partners.

I saw so many come and go at the beginning as a full time driver, then so many burn out half way there and/or just quit or get fired. Even tho I saw drivers retire, the amount of drivers that came and went makes my personal observations probably at more 50% stayed and survived or less.

What I also saw in the mid 70's with all the expansion and all states going online, many tried management and washed out pretty quickly or just quit.

BUT! Everyone's experience is different. Heck today's pkg world is so much different for drivers with all the commit times and services! Glad I am DONE!
That's pretty much my center today.

dudebro

I wish i had joined mgmt in the mid 70s here. Those who did, and didnt sell their stock, are retired multimillionaires.

Shiftless

I wish i had joined mgmt in the mid 70s here. Those who did, and didnt sell their stock, are retired multimillionaires.

My best friend who got me the job here went into management a little after the 74 strike. Yes, he is a multi millionaire from it. He continued his education and got out of operations really quickly. Worked a boat load of hours in his youth tho. Moved 3 or 4 times for them. Had a very cushy job comparatively the last years of his working days.

He did me the BIGGEST favor ever letting me know what he was going thru. He knew at that time he had to at least get his masters if he was going to compete and survive in the upper management game. Being in operations was not for him. Helped solidify my decision that I was OK with just being a driver as I will only work here a few years anyway. Go figure! I worked a tad bit longer.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Wonder what the percentage for retirement in management is. During my 30 years, seen an awful lot come and go. Couldn't handle the pressure or got tired of being required to treat human beings like garbage. Seen several that passed away later in their careers before reaching retirement age, and several who passed away shortly after retiring. Very stressfull position. Kinda like the buck sgt. in the army. Crap flows down hill and stops with them.

hangin455

Wonder what the percentage for retirement in management is. During my 30 years, seen an awful lot come and go. Couldn't handle the pressure or got tired of being required to treat human beings like garbage. Seen several that passed away later in their careers before reaching retirement age, and several who passed away shortly after retiring. Very stressfull position. Kinda like the buck sgt. in the army. Crap flows down hill and stops with them.

I retired from management last year. I recently ran across a photo from my "New Supervisor's Orientation" class. Of the 35 people in the picture only 4 made it to retirement.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Has there ever been statistics on what percentage of UPS/Teamster employees actually make it to a full retirement?

Whats your best guess? 20% 40% 60% Or Everyone gets a trophy!
I would say for those that stay for at least 5 years a very high percentage retire from ups.

tominky

I think 85% is a good number.We put up with a lot of crap but I knew from day one I was in for the long haul.I stayed 35 years(thank God for feeders)but doing well now working on my 9th year of retirement.Hang in there you all will make it too.