How many of ya'll are just here for the benefits?

takesteady

Been working inside part time for about a decade now. Got my BSN during that time and work full time an RN. The benefits at my hospital dont come anywhere close to what UPS offers. Our insurance covered the birth of my daughter and countless other family medical expenses. Pretty sweet deal for coming in a few hours a night, pluggin in a podcast, and getting a paid workout. I've filed enough grievances in my time that the supes barely acknowledge my existence anymore, and I like to keep it that way.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Keep it up if you want to.
We got guys who are business owners on preload and just work it for the benefits for the family.
2 of the bunch have done it for ~15 years

Box Ox

Been working inside part time for about a decade now. Got my BSN during that time and work full time an RN. The benefits at my hospital dont come anywhere close to what UPS offers. Our insurance covered the birth of my daughter and countless other family medical expenses. Pretty sweet deal for coming in a few hours a night, pluggin in a podcast, and getting a paid workout. I've filed enough grievances in my time that the supes barely acknowledge my existence anymore, and I like to keep it that way.

Part-time union hourly with a nice outside full-time job really is the best way to go if one has that option.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What happens when you are mandated to work OT at the hospital?

Box Ox

Part-time union hourly with a nice outside full-time job really is the best way to go if one has that option.
....provided the "nice outside full time job" pays you upward of $40/hr with an industry leading H&W package...

Nope. Don't need the outside full-time job pay to be just as good as a UPS driver's if your body is instead spared from decades of full-time wear and tear. Especially if the outside full-time job also features air conditioning and reasonable hours. A relatively pain-free body and more time with the family are pretty priceless. And the industry leading part-time employee benefits package is the sole reason such a person is also a part-timer at UPS in the first place.

Ghost in the Darkness

There definitely is a lot of wear and tear on the body after years as a driver. You feel good sometimes and not so good others. The job definitely keeps you in shape which I like... just pushes it to the excessive side.
I was never outgoing or very social before being a driver but its improved my ability to interact and start up conversations with random strangers and make many friends and build positive relationships on the many routes I've run. I still enjoy the job. You just need to keep perspective and keep your expectations low when dealing with management. Brothers and sisters in brown, those who move packages everyday.... we are UPS. Like many others we have lost a lot of ground in compensation value as Biden continues to ruin our country, but we keep grinding along and working hard for what we earn.

PTSandwichMaker

It’s funny when people say thy are here just for the benefits like they don’t need that paycheck lol.
Well I’ll take the paycheck but just going to point out most of us could get an equal or better one anywhere else with far less physical labor to earn it. Benefits are why I stick around. Including grievance checks. Lol. Those who only do PT for the paycheck tend to leave, you can’t pay bills with benefits.

takesteady

What happens when you are mandated to work OT at the hospital?
Sorry gramps, Ive got ANOTHER type of big brown to attend to lol.

In all seriousness though, I would quit/take a per diem position before giving up my seniority and benefits. I'm trying to get a gig with the local school district and be outtie at 230 every afternoon with weekends.

GenericUsername

Keep it up if you want to.
We got guys who are business owners on preload and just work it for the benefits for the family.
2 of the bunch have done it for ~15 years
Same at our center. We have a guy who comes in to preload for the workout and the benefits. His business makes him over 100k a year doing small engine repair.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry gramps, Ive got ANOTHER type of big brown to attend to lol.

In all seriousness though, I would quit/take a per diem position before giving up my seniority and benefits. I'm trying to get a gig with the local school district and be outtie at 230 every afternoon with weekends.
School nurse would be the ultimate gig.

qdg2

Except you are working two jobs.....

No matter how you view it....this is the case.

Both require prep, travel etc. That in effect make you at least working many more hours.

Sort of like "retired" UPS'ers......that still work. Not retired at all......seems to me.

Let's not get into say feeder drivers that have say a tax prep business on the side or mow grass whatever......hours of service and all(realizing nurses don't have hours of service concerns).

To be clear: I respect those that work hard. I do too. But then, making $100k.....and having a part-time job? Opens eyes and make you wonder....