How many packages must I scan on AVERAGE.

BryantheLion

I leef deengs up n boot dem down
I still have my trainer with me and really wanna work alone. They stop me too often and waste some time while I can be scanning. On Monday I scanned 674 and yesterday 630. I feel my average will only be around 700-750. My FT Sup told me I gotta scan 1000 a day, but I dont see it happening (Maybe because Im still a newbie). Will I get fired if I dont scan 1000 a day?

Also, yesterday I didnt get my 10min break. Is my trainer suppose to tell me that it's break time..or my PT/FT Sup? On Friday and Monday my trainer told me that it is break time. Yesterday my trainer didnt tell me..so I was assuming it wasnt break time yet..next thing I knew...I finished the day without a break.

I wouldn't worry about scanning 1000 a day, that's just management tactics. Just scan what you can safely and reasonably scan.

If you are in a big building, breaktime should be obvious. Buzzer goes off, everyone stops working for 10 minutes. If you are in a smaller building, it's probably not that obvious, so just continue to ask your supervisor when you get your break.

JDMC1212

first thing, u wont get fired for not scanning 1000 packages. from what i have seen the avg. scans you'll prob get is 700-1400, just depending on how heavy the volume of the trailer your in. and about break, yes they should tell you but im my experience they run as soon as break starts. try to make some friends in ur area and im sure they will tell u something if ur still working when everyone is on break. at the end of the day and u have not taken a break at least make sure that ur sup know and have him give u the time that u worked through break. hope this helps

drewed

Shankman
at the end of the day and u have not taken a break at least make sure that ur sup know and have him give u the time that u worked through break. hope this helps

the scanning part, keep it consistent, dont do 300 one day 1000 next etc and since you dont have seniority yet, UPS can fire you forwhatever they want and dont need to explain theirselves.

breaks are paid correct?

JDMC1212

the scanning part, keep it consistent, dont do 300 one day 1000 next etc and since you dont have seniority yet, UPS can fire you forwhatever they want and dont need to explain theirselves.

breaks are paid correct?

ya i know what u mean , but if u work through a break u get that time u worked added on to ur time so its like u still got a break. so for instance if u worked through a 10 min break and u worked 5 hrs. you would get 5 hrs. and 10 min. its just like when u work 6 hrs. most of the time breaks are still 10 min for part timers so if u work 6 hrs, ur supposed to get a 15 min break but since u only got a 10 min they just usually add the 5 min to ur clock out time.

Fnix

Maybe you finished before break and got sent home before 3 hours. Half my preload goes home at break.

drewed

Shankman
ya i know what u mean , but if u work through a break u get that time u worked added on to ur time so its like u still got a break. so for instance if u worked through a 10 min break and u worked 5 hrs. you would get 5 hrs. and 10 min. its just like when u work 6 hrs. most of the time breaks are still 10 min for part timers so if u work 6 hrs, ur supposed to get a 15 min break but since u only got a 10 min they just usually add the 5 min to ur clock out time.

it would be nice, i wouldnt expect it in smaller buildings

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
I still have my trainer with me and really wanna work alone. They stop me too often and waste some time while I can be scanning. On Monday I scanned 674 and yesterday 630. I feel my average will only be around 700-750. My FT Sup told me I gotta scan 1000 a day, but I dont see it happening (Maybe because Im still a newbie). Will I get fired if I dont scan 1000 a day?

Also, yesterday I didnt get my 10min break. Is my trainer suppose to tell me that it's break time..or my PT/FT Sup? On Friday and Monday my trainer told me that it is break time. Yesterday my trainer didnt tell me..so I was assuming it wasnt break time yet..next thing I knew...I finished the day without a break.

if you ever did scan 1000 a day, the next day will be 1200.

JDMC1212

it would be nice, i wouldnt expect it in smaller buildings
ya thats prob. true, i work in a big hub. they usually dont give it to us but every one im my area is on our sups like a hawk. every day when we see are times every one gets their time to decimal converison charts and goes threw thier times with a fine comb. ive never had a sup give anyone a problem with giving us the time we worked and adding what they are supposed to. i guess every hub is different.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

breaks are paid correct?

Um, it isn't up to the loader what the volume is coming down the belts. If you get 300, you get 300.
Work as directed. If a supervisor feels you are underutilized, they will move you.
Some midnights loading I did 1600-2000 in 4.5 hours, others I'd get 1200 in 4...the only job you can keep fairly consistent is unload, and sort aisle 'somewhat' if you move around to help others..

BryantheLion

I leef deengs up n boot dem down
Thanks for the help. And I've been somewhat consistent, but with low numbers. First day - 674, 2nd day - 630, 3rd day - 614. My trainer usually stops me to talk about stuff I already know and random talk sometimes. Im hoping I can at least scan 700 on average..then bump that by 10-15 packages every day.

tieguy

Banned

how can you not scan at least a thousand packages a night? Thats less then 300 an hour which would be 5 a minute. A minute is a long time just to load five packages. Most people could easily scan and load 10 in a minute.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

how can you not scan at least a thousand packages a night? Thats less then 300 an hour which would be 5 a minute. A minute is a long time just to load five packages. Most people could easily scan and load 10 in a minute.

He's in training, and of course when you're being trained they don't put you in a busy load. Do you really not know this? In our "training" PD, the msot guys were scanning was 600. Mostly 400-500 a night.

SoyFish

You don't have to scan a certian number a day...well at least I don't think you should...thats total BS if you do. The only thing that matters is that you scan in all your packages by the time that the belt shuts off.

drewed

Shankman
Back in my day we averaged about 950 an hr, 0 misloads, no injuries....
Bdaz youll gain speed, AND be able to do it safely. Just remember there are heavy days and there are light days, it just depends on time of the month/week.