How much did I mess up?

smapple

When I got hired the HR guy and training supe asked me first day why I want to work at UPS and I leveled with them and said I needed money. So into my 3rd week unload, working as fast and hard as I can and let the supes in my unload area know to get on my back if they think I'm not working hard/fast enough because basically trying to get face time and brown nose my way into staying past peak while doing decent job. Been having really sore shoulder, back, and elbow and really weak grip since Tuesday after unloading 24 plastic tubs that wouldn't open past my chest level filled with 30lb plastics bags of clothes. Yesterday supe asks me what my aspirations within UPS are, I was kinda out of it mentally after 2 hours of unloading a 50 footer full of pet foods and answered him honestly: get promoted, get paid. Should I have said, "I want to advance my career by working hard and see where UPS takes me blah blah blah" How should I have answered? Kinda wanna know just in case I get asked again. And seriously, what are my chances of sticking around past peak?

Also any tips for unloading?

CHALLY9TX

Don't brown nose. Work at a SAFE and steady pace. Brown nosing won't get you anywhere because advancement is based on seniority. Now if you go into management its a different story.

smapple

Don't brown nose. Work at a SAFE and steady pace. Brown nosing won't get you anywhere because advancement is based on seniority. Now if you go into management its a different story.

Yeah, every time I get cut early they tell me it's based on seniority and really wanted to get sorter but was told that's also based on seniority.

PT Car Washer

Yes sorter position goes by seniority unless no else wants the position. I have seen guys right off the street go into sorting. Much easier job but a bit intimidating until you get the hang of it.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I've only been at UPS for less than a month so don't think I'm anywhere near ready for management position, even PT.
I have seen people go from new-hire to management in less than two weeks, up to a couple months.

The post was sarcasm, though..most get it if they stick around

smapple

Do you plan on making ups a career?

At this point I don't even know what a career in UPS means. If you mean do I want to be an unloader for 10+ years like some of the guys I've been paired up with then no? If you mean go into management and maybe corporate then sure after I've got some more experience with how things are run.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
At this point I don't even know what a career in UPS means. If you mean do I want to be an unloader for 10+ years like some of the guys I've been paired up with then no? If you mean go into management and maybe corporate then sure after I've got some more experience with how things are run.
Do you have a 4 year college degree?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Nope, got a 2 year degree after transferring credits from 4 year that I couldn't finish because of money.
Then don't even consider management. It's a dead end road. Just stick around and read on this site.

Unless you plan on using management as a stepping stone to another career somewhere else driving is the only way to go here pretty much.

They just announced all the cost cutting they plan to do over the next 5 years. I'll give you one guess whose pockets that money is coming out of.