How much does UPS pay hourly for a part-time high school student?

Mikozee

Well as much as I love my current job, the flexibility (or should I say INflexibility) for being a lifeguard is really killing my daily schedule. If it’s not enough hours, it’s always not enough days.

So I’m thinking of maybe getting a 2nd job and working at UPS. I looked it up on Google and the job benefits are pretty cool (weekly paycheck is something new to me lol). I'm currently a Junior in High School and I'm in the process of getting a driver's license (but I can't legally drive by myself yet).

Are there any pre-requisites to working at UPS? Such as being able to lift X-pounds? Or is there an age restriction? (I assume not because I had a friend in 8th grade who worked at UPS)

I also noticed none of the sites (not even UPS although I’m sure it’s there somewhere) told me how much pay they give so does anyone here know? Someone told me they pay $8.50 but I'm not sure if that's right or not.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
In my area it's $8.50 to start. That would be the local sort (nights-6-9:30) The only thing that I'm not sure of is the age you have to be. It could be 18.

mlhradio

Pay rate may vary from location to location - around here it starts at $8.50. One place to find more info - go to http://www.upsjobs.com - click on the link "Featured Jobs", and enter your zip code. It will list all of the available positions in your area (if there are any), the pay rate, approximate hours, and some basic job restrictions. Honestly, I'm not sure if UPS hires people less than 18 years of age (other experienced forum members will undoubtedly know more), but it does not specifically mention age in the job restrictions or requirements.

Mikozee

Yea, Im not buying that 8th grade thing, 18 yrs old is the limit its heavy commercial work so you have to be of age

*shrugs*

I'm not asking you to believe me. I say what I remember. He had a uniform and had his own name tag and got paid. Whether he got paid by UPS, I don't know. I certainly don't see any reason why he would lie at any rate.

*shrugs*

I'm not asking you to believe me. I say what I remember. He had a uniform and had his own name tag and got paid. Whether he got paid by UPS, I don't know. I certainly don't see any reason why he would lie at any rate.

We`re not saying he`s lying. he could have been one of those 18 year old 8th graders. Of course most of those who got put back a grade or two in school usually go into I.E.

brownrodster

*shrugs*

Your friend probably worked at a UPS store. So he was not technically a UPS employee. you need to be 18 or older to work for UPS.

Your friend probably worked at a UPS store. So he was not technically a UPS employee. you need to be 18 or older to work for UPS.
here we had two 17 year old guys working the local sort, granted they were just a few months under 18, but still had not made it yet. I think there may have been some nepotism involved.

smf0605

The minimum age is 17, but there are limitations (can not work past 10 pm). The pay rate is $9.50 on the preload and $8.50 on the other sorts.

I can Count

$8.50 in Latham, NY for seasonal help. I walked out of the interview. They need to raise the salary so they can hire a higher quality worker. Three times in the past year my packages have been delivered to the wrong address and they won't assume responsibility for the incompetence.

ocnewguy

$8.50 in Latham, NY for seasonal help. I walked out of the interview. They need to raise the salary so they can hire a higher quality worker. Three times in the past year my packages have been delivered to the wrong address and they won't assume responsibility for the incompetence.

I'm sure UPS regrets not having your special box-handling capabilities that they can't find anywhere else for 8.50 an hour.