How much more stronger is Teamsters compared to UFCW local 1262

noside_guy1

I got out of working in the supermarket and currently at FedEx. One of the reasons I got out was because I felt the union was getting weak. Under the contract, full-timers got better benefits and recognition (which I respect, full-timers work way longer hours and earn it). Only one problem, management uses this as a loop-hole and hires part-time only and never worked with the people at my store to promote. I've seen full-timers (who have been grandfathered in when things were better back in 80's-90's) successfully fired or "Constructively terminated" (being forced to resign so the company knows for a fact they don't have pay for any unemployment). FedEx is also trying to force people out at my station right now but even Fred is more restrained compared to the crap and harassment that went on at my first job.

How much better is the union at UPS compared to UFCW local 1262 especially towards part-timers. Yes, I know UPS is not perfect but I chose FedEx any day before Stop & shop. When I was actually at FedEx the HR people explained that both part-time and full-time got the same exact benefits. At Stop & Shop, part-timers were only eligible for "preventive care only" which last I heard was going to be taken away and there is going to be a five year probationary period.

An older relative of mine, who used work for Continental Can and than was able get a better job for the State of NY working for on NYC buses, told me to be very careful of "sweetheart unions". He said you should not only do your homework on the company but also how strong the union is.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
all unions are suffering because the big corporations are getting stronger and stronger and they have bought congress off.

sorry to inform you but you just left a sinking ship to get on to another.

noside_guy1

Yes, but im not in an union anymore. Im at fedex and wondering if the switch to ups is worth the union dues. Right now Im getting better hours than the supermarket plus a couple more dollars an hour &have also been promised better benefits after 1000 hours.
My union rep, was extremely hard-working who did what he could do for us but his hands were tied in the end due to the contract.
Some of my former co-workers left stop&shop to go to shop-rite since the company is a little less crappier. they even sacrafised all the little 25cent they recieved every 6 mo. because they claimed they got better hours. And these were people who had been there at least 3 years

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

The problem at UPS isn't necessarily the union leadership. It's the facts that a ridiculous amount of the hourly employees are not in the union. And also a huge chunk of those who are won't bother filling out a ballot and walking out to the mailbox. And many of those that do are uninformed/misinformed voters. Much like many of those that vote in federal/state elections. Apathy is the worst problem of them all.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
Back in 2007-08 I was working for a grocery chain in the west coast. I ended up quitting and moving on to bigger and better things but shortly after I quit there was a strike and I believe the company was able to hold out by hiring temps and what not and pretty much broke up/severely weakened the union. That union was UFCW, it left a bad taste in mouth as far as unions are concerned due to being hired under a different contract which provided much less protection, benefits, and pay than the older cats that worked there.

noside_guy1

The Teamsters isn't the best Union.... because it is the biggest.

It is the biggest Union.... because it's the best.

If you don't think so ?

Go stock shelves, under a UFCW contract.

-Bug-

FedEx's benefits are better than UFCW benefits, so it's common sense that Teamsters/UPS benefits beats UFCW. Medical/Dental are the first reason why handlers from FedEx switch to UPS. I'm not sure if UPS workers get their benefits through the company or Teamsters.
What I'm trying to assess are pay raises, do people in different union job descriptions are entitled to make more, and if members with a lot of seniority get the respect they deserve (people with top tier seniority at my old store were SUPPOSE to be offered extra hours first before new hires; but the managers always ignored that & offered the new workers the hours to save a few bucks for payroll :glare:). I am trying also trying to figure out what rights part-timers have compared to full-timers (I highly doubt if I was offered a position it would be full-time for a new hire).

PT Car Washer

FedEx's benefits are better than UFCW benefits, so it's common sense that Teamsters/UPS benefits beats UFCW. Medical/Dental are the first reason why handlers from FedEx switch to UPS. I'm not sure if UPS workers get their benefits through the company or Teamsters.
What I'm trying to assess are pay raises, do people in different union job descriptions are entitled to make more, and if members with a lot of seniority get the respect they deserve (people with top tier seniority at my old store were SUPPOSE to be offered extra hours first before new hires; but the managers always ignored that & offered the new workers the hours to save a few bucks for payroll :glare:). I am trying also trying to figure out what rights part-timers have compared to full-timers (I highly doubt if I was offered a position it would be full-time for a new hire).
PTers at UPS have the same benefits and protection as FTers. At one time also had the same hourly rate. Only difference was PT had a 3 hour guarantee and OT after 5 and FT had a 8 hour guarantee with OT after 8. That was a while ago.