How much walking do you do?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I remember having a time study done on me a long time ago and I think the IE guy mentioned that the average package driver probably walked seven miles a day. I thought that seemed a lot, since I used to go backpacking and usually did about 7-10 miles a day on mountain trails. I wore my wife's calorie monitor on my wrist today, I was surprised.
healthwatchsecuredownload.jpeg

Z

ZQXC

... and you're in the Concrete Jungle / Imagine what some of us super rural guys do

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I work in the suburbs, I DR subdivisions all day.

The monitor says I walked 10.83 miles today, burned 2589 calories, and took 26,327 steps.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I work in the suburbs, I DR subdivisions all day.

The monitor says I walked 10.83 miles today, burned 2589 calories, and took 26,327 steps.

The steps seem right, but the calories and mileage don't seem quite right. I would have expected alot more calories and a lot less mileage. Learn something new everyday. Whats the name of the watch you have I might have to pick one up and try it.

Cementups

Box Monkey
My wife used to wear a pedometer to work occasionally. She sits at a desk most of the day but would run over lunch on the treadmill. So I asked her to borrow for a day to see how we compare. Sadly, she put down more steps than I did. I was on a predominately rural route and had a lot of drive up deliveries. Minimal walking at best. lol.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
I remember reading somewhere that as a smoker, us smokers burn 250 calories a day just completing the action of hand to mouth. I definitely have to get me one of those wrist gadgets for when Im out metal detecting and gold prospecting just for :censored2:es and giggles. I know Im burning some serious calories, love to see what the watch says.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Its a New Balance Calorie Monitor that my wife picked up from a sporting goods chain for $60. I have never used one before, I don't know how accurate it is. I think it measures arm swings to count steps. This one resets itself at midnight and records for seven days.

When I used to hike, I would make rough guesses by counting paces. I can take two steps which measure about five feet every time my right heel hits the ground. Multiply five feet by the number of times my right heel hits the ground gives me a rough estimate of distance on level ground.

It was a rainy day, I don't know if I lost counts carrying packages with my left hand and stuffing packages into DR bags as I walked down driveways.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I still haven't understood how a package driver can be fat. Its pretty funny actually to see a couple of the fattys that run routes lol. We got 1 dude that's got hamhawks for legs and he wears shorts all year long. We call him SHREK cause he kinda looks like him. I used to cover his route and some of the customers would be like where is the other guy? Id be like who you talking about? Oh you mean SHREK id say. The customers would be baggin up about it and then they would be like he kinda does look like him. You talk about some funnyazz shiznitt lol.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I still haven't understood how a package driver can be fat. Its pretty funny actually to see a couple of the fattys that run routes lol. We got 1 dude that's got hamhawks for legs and he wears shorts all year long. We call him SHREK cause he kinda looks like him. I used to cover his route and some of the customers would be like where is the other guy? Id be like who you talking about? Oh you mean SHREK id say. The customers would be baggin up about it and then they would be like he kinda does look like him. You talk about some funnyazz shiznitt lol.
We've got a few big guys in my center...it's gotta make the job that much harder. I mean delivering already beats the hell out of your body. But adding an extra 40 or 50 lbs is just extra stress on your joints and back.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Easy to be chubby. Eat a lot. Go on a diet and the pounds come off really fast.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Easy to be chubby. Eat a lot. Go on a diet and the pounds come off really fast.
Very true, but sticking to it's the hard part. It's real easy to join a gym...but dragging yourself there twice a week takes determination...lol. Few summers ago, they hired this new guy...he was easily 350 lbs..had him loading trucks. He lasted maybe 2 hours...lol

Last edited:

oldngray

nowhere special
Very true, but sticking to it's the hard part. It's real easy to join a gym...but dragging yourself there twice a week takes determination...lol. Few summers ago, they hired this new guy...he was easily 350 lbs..had him loading trucks. He lasted maybe 2 hours...lol

That sounds like a helper I had one Christmas. I was expecting him to have a heart attack and keel over at any time.

Z

ZQXC

They brought me an unexpected helper while I was on area one peak (and dumped him out). He was older than me; WTF.

You had to drive a wooden stake in the ground and sight across the top of it to see if he was actually moving.

oldngray

nowhere special
They brought me an unexpected helper while I was on area one peak (and dumped him out). He was older than me; WTF.

You had to drive a wooden stake in the ground and sight across the top of it to see if he was actually moving.

Most of the older helpers I had were better workers than the young kids who who lazy or stupid (or both).