How much work is enough?

How much work is enough

• Work as much as I can, I live at brown.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Anything up to 9.5 I'm good with

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • Work as little as I can, I like time off.

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Recently I've observed a few threads where folks seem to have polarized views of how much work is enough. On one hand you have folks who think working the bare minimum amount of hours is the way to go, citing family, personal time, creating more FT positions, and their financial status that allows them to live on a smaller yearly amount.

On the other hand, you have guys who want to work more to increase thier retirement, have debts to pay off so they must work more, don't have a family, want more toys, or just in general have no life outside of UPS.

Salaries here (all things being equal, top pay, routes) can widely vary from 50k a year to 120k a year. Hours that an employee can work can vary from 1-2 days working a week ( 3 no pays) to 6 punches (Sat OT) or anything in between.

I have been one of the more vocal people about this, defending those who want to work more, but at the same time I fully support the measures in place to prevent unwanted OT placed on employees who don't want it. Personally I try to get as many hours as I possiably can to enhance my retirement, children's future, and my modest lifestyle. I think of it as the more I work now, the less I will have to later. We don't know what the future holds, seizing the opportunity to make 100k+ a year while I can is my objective.

I know several people on this forum follow Dave Ramsey in his montra about living like no one now, so you can live like no one else later. But when it comes to working more several of you bash those doing that exact thing which is a hypocritical at best. Everyone has their own reasons for working more or less, I've been guilty of bashing on those FTer's who work 1-2days a week and are in a panic come the end of the month, terminated for a week, or are out hurt for more than a week. I believe this makes our union weak and I also think management knows this.

So, what's your opinion on this very polarized topic?

upschuck

I have no sympathy if you can't pay your bills and don't work as much as you can. That being said, money does not buy happiness, or the lost time with family and friends. I've seen many a UPS'er who has spent a lot of their time working, to make the good money, only to get divorced, and losing that extra money. You have got to balance your life.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I have no sympathy if you can't pay your bills and don't work as much as you can. That being said, money does not buy happiness, or the lost time with family and friends. I've seen many a UPS'er who has spent a lot of their time working, to make the good money, only to get divorced, and losing that extra money. You have got to balance your life.

We have one of those in our center. House a month away from being foreclosed on 2-3 times. Asks once a week when we are getting our backpay checks. He probably works less hours on the year than anyone in the building though. I'm all for taking a day off but when your getting foreclosure notices and they say we don't have anything for you today. You say find something!!!

oldngray

nowhere special
A guy I used to work with always complained about not having money yet was in the office every day whining to get work moved off of him. He took off every day he could and after using his paid days always made up a new excuse to take off unpaid days. And constant 8 hour requests no matter how bad it screwed everyone else around him. He wanted to get paid but didn't want to work for it.

Johney

Needs an "8 is enough" option.​

8.jpg
There you go.
8.jpg

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Personally, work as few hours as possible; the objective is to not starve and have a roof over my head, while saving a little.

I wouldn't "bash" anyone in particular for working as much as possible, but I would criticize the overall lifestyle most Americans seem to buy into; and that seems to require being passive consumers, passive employees, indebted wage slaves.