How not to fill out a DVIR:

I agree that it would have been nice if the driver had given a more info to save the Mech a little time. However, unless the mech would not have had to check out the signals based on the additional info it would not have changed anything. The mech would still have had to check them.
I have always given pretty detailed symptoms on the DVIR , I was a mechanic before going to work for UPS. I actually received a written chew out as a reply from our mech for diagnosing the problem, not because I was incorrect(I was spot on) but because he had no excuse to say, " Could not duplicate problem".

Bottom line is, Big is correct on this, the DVIR is a legal document, an air of professionalism should be observed by anyone writing in the book.

Oh and don't worry too much about the mech being overworked, he gets paid by the hour too.

upssup

He does get paid by the hour, but a better description might allow him to get more repairs done. Then he might not have been in such a crappy mood and would not have written such a snippy response.

rod

Retired 22 years
Shhhhhhhh, don't tell him about the power steering too!

you're pulling my leg now------power steering?--- you're kidding me --- no way.

Actually about 3 years before I retired I got a brand new diesel International 700 with power steering and power brakes (wasn't an automatic though). It was like working for a different company. I thought I had died and went to heaven. I could actually get off work and not have to crawl to my pickup.

P

pickup

rod;757655 I could actually get off work and not have to crawl to my pickup.[/QUOTE said:
Shhhh!, Rod, we share a love that dare not speaketh its name to the rest of the world. I wish I could quit you!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Trouble is, the DVIR is considered a legal document. We've had a few drivers and mechanics get a stern lecture about what they wrote in the book.

Correct and they should get their ears pinned back. Both of them. I've used 2 pages of DVIR for one write up. Give all pertinent details. :happy-very:

E

eli1mxm

The mechanics response was not appropriate.

He wasted more time writing a snotty, sarcastic reply than it would have taken him to determine what the exact problem was with the turn signals.

Yes, the air driver probably could have been more specific (left? right? front or back?) but the mechanic was out of line.
Do you guy know how many stupid write ups we mechanics get everyday.You can't tell me correctly what the problem is? how fustrating it is to have to guess what the heck your talking about but also to have to convert your chicken scratch.So maybe you guys can do a little better and be more clear about what your writing so you don't waste my time.And if your not sure stop by the shop and see your mechanic when you come in.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Do you guy know how many stupid write ups we mechanics get everyday.You can't tell me correctly what the problem is? how fustrating it is to have to guess what the heck your talking about but also to have to convert your chicken scratch.So maybe you guys can do a little better and be more clear about what your writing so you don't waste my time.And if your not sure stop by the shop and see your mechanic when you come in.

Stopping by the shop is not an option for everyone. I don't have a shop to stop by and I never see my mechanic. You are right though, about chicken scratch. There are mechanics that are not any better about legible handwriting.

mech1

Stopping by the shop is not an option for everyone. I don't have a shop to stop by and I never see my mechanic. You are right though, about chicken scratch. There are mechanics that are not any better about legible handwriting.
So who does the repairs on the trucks?If you don't have a shop

chopstic

So who does the repairs on the trucks?If you don't have a shop
We don't have a shop at our center either. Must not be an uncommon situation to not have a shop readily available. If we have any vehicle repair issues, someone from another center picks up the vehicle and brings it back when its fixed.

upssup

There is a mix of both, but that is not what is at issue here. If the DVIR is filled out legibly and as descriptive as possible, it does not matter if you have 10 mechanics or an outside vendor, you can get a very good idea of where the problem is. If not, you get what you get. On the other hand mechanics get frustrated when they have to deal with bad write ups. It is more time consuming for all involved. No there should not be any stupid responses on either side. You get what you give. Simple as that.

mech1

There is a mix of both, but that is not what is at issue here. If the DVIR is filled out legibly and as descriptive as possible, it does not matter if you have 10 mechanics or an outside vendor, you can get a very good idea of where the problem is. If not, you get what you get. On the other hand mechanics get frustrated when they have to deal with bad write ups. It is more time consuming for all involved. No there should not be any stupid responses on either side. You get what you give. Simple as that.
Nicely said.