How Often Does Your Center Re-Bid Routes..

BlackCat

In my center, bid drivers stay on their route until they feel like bidding on another open route or retire.

I have read in other centers they re-bid all routes on a yearly basis.

Is this a local thing?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
IMG_1831.GIF

BlackCat

Reason I ask is I have a feeling my route will be dissolved this year.

I am a "D" route in my loop. Occasionally this past year they would move my work to the "C" route. Seeing as how the "C" route picked up almost 50% of my work, I filed a grievance that I should be able to follow my work and bump the guy on the "C" route with less seniority.

The center manager and steward both agreed that because of "past practice" I would not be able to bump another bid driver.

I guess my question is, is there anything in writing regarding bidding routes and the frequency that they are bid?

Also how have you guys dealt with this "past practice" crap. There have been far too many times where I have seen management use the "this is the way it has always been done" argument.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Reason I ask is I have a feeling my route will be dissolved this year.

I am a "D" route in my loop. Occasionally this past year they would move my work to the "C" route. Seeing as how the "C" route picked up almost 50% of my work, I filed a grievance that I should be able to follow my work and bump the guy on the "C" route with less seniority.

The center manager and steward both agreed that because of "past practice" I would not be able to bump another bid driver.

I guess my question is, is there anything in writing regarding bidding routes and the frequency that they are bid?

Also how have you guys dealt with this "past practice" crap. There have been far too many times where I have seen management use the "this is the way it has always been done" argument.
I find it hard to believe that your supplement doesn't have language about this. Try looking it up.

oldupsman

Bid every year. Whenever a job goes up for bid, no matter what it might be, it goes to the person with the most seniority.
Heck, feeders here bid twice a year.
I can't believe some of this stuff I'm reading lately.
Bid routes forever. Classification seniority. It's a freaking joke.

BlackCat

If there's wording in a contract it overrides past practice

It is a catch 22.. There is wording regarding following your work within your own loop, but past practice also doesnt allow you to bump a bid driver or rebid the route. I actually have never seen terminology that refers to "bumping"

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
In my center, bid drivers stay on their route until they feel like bidding on another open route or retire.

I have read in other centers they re-bid all routes on a yearly basis.

Is this a local thing?
Pretty much retirements are what open bids up here.