how sale reps are paid..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Cold World, I'll agree with you that UPS does tend to walk over a dollar to pick up a nickel. This attitude does cost us with customers. However, in the example I provided, this wasn't the case. The driver got to box routinely at quarter of the hour, but pickup wasn't supposed to be made til the hour. Every day (Mon - Thur) driver waited and no one dropped off any letters during those 15 minutes. On Friday, the driver got there scanned the box, and decided to leave. This was the day the customer shipped (a lot) during those last 15 minutes. When the driver was asked, he said that he didn't think it was a big deal to leave early since they didn't drop anything off the last 4 days during that time. That was his last stop of the day, before heading for an air mt point and then back to ctr.

Im sure that happens also, Im only speaking of my experience. yes, pickups are usually the same, but we all know that company "x" who is shipping lots of items with us daily DOES expect to have their deliveries there at a reasonable time each day. Especially when things that come in go right back out the same day. I feel like were just giving volume away when this kind of thing happens. Maybe IE needs to be the ones who have to answer the phone when our customers call in complaints. management seems really out of touch with the customers, they really do...they just dont care.

BrownSuit

Im sure that happens also, Im only speaking of my experience. yes, pickups are usually the same, but we all know that company "x" who is shipping lots of items with us daily DOES expect to have their deliveries there at a reasonable time each day. Especially when things that come in go right back out the same day. I feel like were just giving volume away when this kind of thing happens. Maybe IE needs to be the ones who have to answer the phone when our customers call in complaints. management seems really out of touch with the customers, they really do...they just dont care.

Coldworld - I find it interesting that a scenario laid out to be the driver's fault because he feels a natural tendency to actually want to go home, especially on a Friday afternoon, suddenly becomes everybody else's fault ranging from BD, to IE, to Customer Service to the center manager.

This thread seems to have been started to bash BD for problems at the center and district level for routes and numbers.

Stuff happens. Sometimes it is BD's Fault, sometimes it's IE, sometimes it's customer service, believe it or not, sometimes it's operations.

Customer service was a lot different back in the day when 800 meant you were calling some people in the local district office or center about your missing package or problem with the driver. Times have changed. We have corporately outsourced a large volume of not only our Customer Service but our billing. You can't blame this or any other aspect of the company for the problems.

I'm also ashamed of my fellow UPSers for derogatory comments made towards the weight and appearances of your fellow employees. The female workers, including your female BD Counterparts ARE NOT EYE CANDY. They are human beings and deserve to be treated as such.

If I were your sup and overheard comments such as those in this thread, I'd write you up on the spot. Yeah, you could grieve it and probably get away with it, but I'm pretty sure your Steward would slap you upside the head (proverbially, not physically) and ask you what you were thinking.

I realize that this is outside the workplace, but have some respect for your fellow UPSers. They deserve to be treated with dignity.

As for their pay structure, I honestly don't see how that's any of your business, but what I can say is that you more than likely make more money than them in a year with overtime and peak. You really have no reason to be busting their chops about what they do and don't make money wise.

If you have a problem with how an account has been handled, address it with your supervisor and go further if necessary. If I personally come across problems, even those involving other departments, I address it properly and professionally until it is dealt with. It may not always be to my liking either.

Life ain't fair, you can either live with it and complain or make the best of it and be content. Which are you going to do?

BrownSuit

I would also challenge anybody who thinks a monkey can work in sales to answer the following questions:

1. What are the current Fuel Surcharges?
  2. When do they change?
  3. How are they calculated?
  4. How does this differ from our competitors?
  5. Name the 6 services that comprise the Domestic Air Portfolio
  6. Which air service does UPS have that no other carrier offers?
  7. What the time guarantees on our international service?
  8. Name the 6 service levels for importing a package from Canada
  9. Which service levels are brokerage costs included on?
  10. What is the average delivery area for a 1 and 2 day ground package respectively?
  11. What are the Surcharges for Residential Packages?
  12. What are the Out of Area Surcharges?
  13. Why are there two different amounts for each surcharge and what do they mean?
  14. How do our competitors fare in regards to the surcharges?
  15. How do our discounts work?
It's not just about knowing a box and the label on it. It's knowing the competitors box, the service levels, the differences, and how cost factors into all of this.

DHL, the thorn in a lot of people's flesh has a 2% higher fuel surcharge in air and international services. It's kinda helpful to know this going into the customer's location. FedEx calculates theirs differently with discounts, that's good to know too.

There are similar questions that would apply to any job from Loading, to Sorting, to Driving to being a Sup, IE, 800, center manager, etc. EVERY JOB REQUIRES A DEGREE OF SKILL AND INTELLIGENCE. Take any UPSer from another division and challenge them to do a different job for a day and they will fumble. It's not as easy as it seems.

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Coldworld - I find it interesting that a scenario laid out to be the driver's fault because he feels a natural tendency to actually want to go home, especially on a Friday afternoon, suddenly becomes everybody else's fault ranging from BD, to IE, to Customer Service to the center manager.

This thread seems to have been started to bash BD for problems at the center and district level for routes and numbers.

Stuff happens. Sometimes it is BD's Fault, sometimes it's IE, sometimes it's customer service, believe it or not, sometimes it's operations.

Customer service was a lot different back in the day when 800 meant you were calling some people in the local district office or center about your missing package or problem with the driver. Times have changed. We have corporately outsourced a large volume of not only our Customer Service but our billing. You can't blame this or any other aspect of the company for the problems.

I'm also ashamed of my fellow UPSers for derogatory comments made towards the weight and appearances of your fellow employees. The female workers, including your female BD Counterparts ARE NOT EYE CANDY. They are human beings and deserve to be treated as such.

If I were your sup and overheard comments such as those in this thread, I'd write you up on the spot. Yeah, you could grieve it and probably get away with it, but I'm pretty sure your Steward would slap you upside the head (proverbially, not physically) and ask you what you were thinking.

I realize that this is outside the workplace, but have some respect for your fellow UPSers. They deserve to be treated with dignity.

As for their pay structure, I honestly don't see how that's any of your business, but what I can say is that you more than likely make more money than them in a year with overtime and peak. You really have no reason to be busting their chops about what they do and don't make money wise.

If you have a problem with how an account has been handled, address it with your supervisor and go further if necessary. If I personally come across problems, even those involving other departments, I address it properly and professionally until it is dealt with. It may not always be to my liking either.

Life ain't fair, you can either live with it and complain or make the best of it and be content. Which are you going to do?

First off, I wasnt the one who started the thread about bashing the reps, read my first post of this thread again. Second, I really never asked how much money these people make, just wanted to know if they were salary and commission etc, etc, so whats the big deal in knowing this? Overall I was more curious if these folks get a commission on an account that I sign up to use ups....that is a fair question, right. I am at the business everyday, making the customer comfortable, kissing their ass, trying to keep ups looking good after they stomp on their stuff, loose their package etc, etc. Why should a rep get a commission for something that the driver totally set up, thats the only question I was wanting to know.

captainvaughan

The sales rep does not get paid for the account the same way you do.

When you bring in a sales lead that becomes sold AND producing you get rewarded with AMEX dollars.

If that should be an account that turns out to have potential to give UPS $40k + annually it will be assigned to an Account Manager who will then earn a commision on the account based how much that customer grows.

Targeted commision for an AE this year is between 20 and 25k - total. Base salary is not glorious. FT drivers definitly make more ... but you should.